I have varicose veins and my ankles swell up. What could this be? (Photo)

I have varacoise veins and my ankles swell up especially during hot summers and when flying. Have bouts of feeling very tired.

Venous hypertension and Corona Phlebectasia

+1
Ectatic or varicose and reticular veins near the ankle indicate that there may be truncal or axial venous insufficiency or both. Truncal venous insufficiency can originate at the saphenofemoral junction at the saphenopopliteal junction and involve the short saphenous vein, or segmental reflux (at least 6 types) of the great saphenous vein. Axial reflux occurs from perforator veins of the Cockett's type (old terminology) within 18 cm of the ankle bone and can cause this type of problem as you show in the picture - causing reticular and varicose veins and corona phlebectasia. A venous Duplex scan needs to be done along with vein mapping (Vein Lite examination) to make a treatment plan for you. Seek a board certified vein specialist - that does not mean a urologist who is board certified, but rather, a physician who has added board certification from the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

See vein specialist.

+1
The picture looks like varicose veins with a surrounding area of tiny veins (telangioectasia). Since your legs swell and you fly frequently, you should have a full venous evaluation with a venous reflux ultrasound. A vein specialist can fully evaluate your venous system and make recommendations as to the alternative vein treatments.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Varicose veins of the ankles

+1
Thank you for your question and a photo.

This appears to be a bruise associated with a broken vein or capillaries around larger veins.

To be sure and discuss possible treatments, see two or more board certified and experienced surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS