What is the Cost of Aquamid Injections?

I would expect the price to be quite high, understanding that the more permanent the filler, the higher the price.

Costs of Aquamid

+3

Aquamid is currently not approved for injection in the USA and is undergoing evaluation by the FDA.

When approved, it will most likely be available in 1cc vials. Charges will depend on the number of vials used. It is unlikely that this will be below $1500 per vial.

Semipermanent Filler Materials Work Well For Wrinkles and Scars & Offer Long-Term Safety

+1

When investigating the use of Fillers and Volumizing Fillers, most people are concerned with two major issues: 1) How much does the treatment cost, and 2) How long will the results last? These are, of course, legitimate questions.

Instinctively, most individuals seeking treatment would likely respond that a permanent filler, i.e. one that the body cannot breakdown and eliminate would be the ideal substance to use, since there would be no need for treatments down the road.

In general, I would not agree with this, however. We now know that there are substantial changes in the thickness and quality of our skin, as well as significant loss and displacement of fat deposits in our cheeks, brows and temples, and pronounced remodeling of bone and cartilage in the cheeks, nose and chin.

Just two examples highlight the results of these age-related changes. The droopy nasal tip of older age is in large measure due to loss of nasal cartilage at the end of the nose leading to a descent of the tip as the skin redrapes over the diminished cartilage underneath. Likewise, the deep folds of the smile lines and marionette lines are largely due to the downward and inward descent of the remnants of the cheek fat pads.

The point is not the particulars; the point is that changes in the amounts and shapes of the underlying components of our faces and significant remodeling continues relentlessly as we go through the decades. What this means is that what may look great today may look downright bizarre five, ten or twenty years down the road.  A nicely filled in smile line achieved today with any of the three main permanent fillers (Artefill--which contains non-biodegradable acrylic beads; silicon--a derivative of glass; and Alcamid--a synthetic gel polymer) may appear as a ridge when the skin and underlying tissues around it eventually become altered with the changes of time and gravity. (Incidentally, currently only Artefill is FDA approved for aesthetic use; silicon is approved for use in the eye, and Alcamid has no FDA-approval whatsoever for any indication).

Reactions, such as bumps and swellings (granulomas) have been known to occur with permanent fillers, even many years later, and unfortunately, these problems are difficult to treat even surgically.

For this reason, I am currently an advocate for the use of FDA-approved, semipermanent volumizers, such as Radiesse, which is a calcium-based product subject to our natural metabollic removal processes that cause it to be slowly absorbed with time. Other volumizing fillers, such as Perlane L and Juvederm UltraPlus XC are available.

While the package insert materials emphasize that these products last about a year, many of us experienced with the use of these products have observed that in locations, such as the nasal bridge or under the eyes, areas not subject to much repetitive mechanical forces, these substances may last for years. On a personal note, I treated the bags and tear troughs under my own eyes well over five years ago and still do not require a re-treatment today.

In addition, whenever it does finally come time for re-treating a particular area, new material may be added to precisely adjust to the new contours that have come about since the last treatment with the aging process.  

One final note: since changes in skin, bone, fat, and even muscle are inevitable consequences of aging, even if one were to opt for a permanent filler, it is very likely that additional treatment sessions would be required over the years, as well.

So, if one takes all these considerations into account, treatment with semipermanent fillers and volumizers composed of natural substances, such as hyaluronic acid and calcium hydroxyl apatite, make good sense--both from a safety perspective and an economic perspective. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD