Skin Care Tips for Aging Skin

My face is aging faster now that I've turned 46. What is the best techniques, skin care products, or life style changes to maintain more youthful look.  Is Botox simply an inevitable?

Use Sun Protection: It is estimated that up to 90% of...

+8
  1. Use Sun Protection: It is estimated that up to 90% of facial aging is due to the damaging effects of ultra-violet radiation. Even if you don't plan to be in the sun, use a sunblock every day that blocks both UVA and UVB rays (also know as "broad-spectrum" sunblock) because surprisingly, harmful sun rays penetrate through fog, clouds, and even window glass.
  2. Don't Smoke: Nicotine use (in any form) contributes significantly to facial lines, aging, and changes in skin texture and elasticity. In addition, smoking creates lines around the mouth from pursing your lips around the cigarette. If you want to look your best, you must not smoke.
  3. Drink Enough Water: Drink at least 32 ounces of caffeine-free, alcohol-free liquids every day (preferably water). Water is necessary for healthy cell formation as well as the removal of waste products. If you exercise, are in warm weather, ingest a lot of salt, or take diuretics, you will need to drink more than 32 ounces.
  4. Balance Your Nutrition: A diet that is well- rounded and emphasizes fruits and vegetables, lean meats and fish, and moderate amounts of starches or carbohydrates will keep you fit and looking your best.
  5. Take Anti-Oxidant Supplements: Anti-oxidant supplements such as zinc and vitamins A, C, and E contribute to the body's ability to fight free-radical damage. Free-radical damage, caused by smoking, pollution, and inflammation lead to aging as well as cancer. Recent research suggests that certain forms of anti-oxidants can also be applied directly to the skin for targeted absorption.
  6. Manage Your Weight: Fluctuations in weight or being overweight for long periods of time stress the elasticity of the skin. Being significantly underweight may contribute to aging by malnutrition (see #4 above).
  7. Try Retinoic Acid: Retin-A (also known as retinoic acid) has been shown to stimulate collagen and elastin production, and control abnormal pigmentation in the skin when used in a high enough concentration over a long period of time. This can actually reverse some signs of aging in the skin.
  8. Sleep and Position: A simple way to prevent line formation and excessive tension on the skin is to sleep on your back. Stomach-sleepers especially develop creases on the forehead and cheeks. They often wake up with swelling around the eyes which over time may stretch the delicate eyelid skin. It is also important to get plently of sleep as this is the body's time to refresh and regenerate.
  9. Take Advantage of Botox: Botox can prevent the formation of lines and wrinkles caused by facial muscle contractions. It is especially useful between the eyebrows, around the eyes, and on the forehead.
  10. Consider Hormone Replacement: Hormone levels have a direct effect on the quality and appearance of the skin of both men and women. Recent studies show that cream or oral supplementation can dramatically enhance the appearance of your skin. Talk to your doctor if you think you may be a candidate for hormone replacement.

Bonus Tip: Many people neglect the fact that mental, emotional, or physical stress can contribute to changes in hormone levels, excessive frowning, poor nutrition, inadequate sleep, gray hair, increased tendency to smoke, and many other factors. Simple ways to help reduce stress are to exercise, take up a hobby, read or write, listen to music, spend time with family or friends, or just take time out for yourself. Figure out what works to reduce stress for you, and then remember to do it!

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Skin care

+3

THE BASICS OF SKIN CARE

When it comes to good skin care, every body is an expert, from the person at the makeup counter, to the scientists of major makeup and pharmaceutical companies. Every one is serving their own interest. However there are scientific undisputable facts.

Genetically, we are programmed to age.

There are factors that affect the aging process, whether accelerating or delaying the aging.

A good healthy skin care should include:

1. Good genes
Genes determine the quality of skin we have. The thickness of skin, quality of collagen and elastin and our tendency for skin diseases and conditions.

2. Avoid Excessive Sun exposure
The most important way to take care of your skin is to protect it from sun radiation. Sun exposure damages the cell DNA and, can cause wrinkles, freckles, age spots and rough, dry skin. Sun exposure can also cause more-serious problems, such as skin cancer.

3. Avoid smoking
Smoking makes your skin look older and contributes to wrinkles.

4. Eat a healthy diet

Good quality skin therefore starts at very young age. The moment we are born we start aging. To slow down the aging process on the skin Follow basic scientific steps.

SKIN CLEANSER
A good skin cleanser will be gentle on the skin and cleans the skin of dust and pollutants. Avoid harsh soaps on the face.

EXFOLIATE

The use of good system to exfoliate the skin once a week will remove the dead top layer of the skin and make your skin glow. Exfoliate once a week. Gentle scrubs are good adjuncts when used with ultrasonic gentle brushes to clean and exfoliate the skin

MOISTURIZE

Body hydration is critical to keep the skin well hydrated. Moisturizers are important even in oily skin. However moisturizers must not contain any oils and must be non-comedogenic, and hypoallergenic.

EYE CREAM

Eye creams are important. Eye lid skin does nor has oil glands, and is very thin and prone to fine wrinkles and dryness.

SUNSCREEN

Sunscreens should be used as early in life as possible.

An SPF of 35 and above should be used on all skin types and colors. Very sensitive skin needs more protection with higher SPF and physical blockers such as Titanium dioxide and Zinc oxide.

RETINOIDS

Retinoid can repair and prevent skin aging. They can control and treat acne. Retinoids are the only real anti aging product available on the market.

FACIALS
Good facials exfoliate and clean the skin, and are part of good skin care.

TREATMENTS AVAILABLE
Many new technologies are available on the market today. Unfortunately many of these technologies and treatments are not what they claim to be.

Skin conditions related to aging that affect the beauty of the skin include:

• Fine wrinkles and deep wrinkles
  • Acne
  • Scars and Acne scars
  • Dull skin complexions
  • Age spots
  • Pigmentation problems

Treatment starts with the premise that every one wants smooth wrinkle free, even tone, glowing skin.

This can be achieved by medical grade skin care such as the OBAJI skin care, or equivalent systems. When combined with specific treatments such as chemical peels or laser resurfacing can produce excellent results.

Avoid the hype of technologically sounding treatment of lights, laser and radiofrequency, that have not proven their effectiveness.

If you are bothered by visible signs of aging, a number of treatments are available Fillers, including Fat Transfer and botulinum toxin are suitable for people with busy lifestyles who do not want the inconvenience of a long recovery. They are also suitable for young patients with deep lines, smile lines and frown lines. These treatments are temporary and do not replace surgical correction of aging.
Dermabrasion, laser resurfacing, chemical peeling, and topical treatments can restore skin, giving it a smoother and refreshed appearance. These are scientifically proven methods.

Sun exposure and cigarette smoking are two things that I...

+3

Sun exposure and cigarette smoking are two things that I would say have the greatest effect on accelerating skin aging. The sun’s rays have a major effect on the skin’s elastin and collagen, causing them to breakdown – creating leathery wrinkled skin and sunspots.

There is also a direct correlation between cigarette smoke and levels of MMP-1, an enzyme that breaks down collagen. Therefore, in addition to lack of oxygen going to the skin, cigarettes have a direct effect on causing wrinkling.

• The way to deal with these age accelerators is to wear a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun block all year-round and do all that you can to stop smoking. The day that you stop these age accelerators is the day that you will slow the skin aging process.

Jeannette Graf, MD
Long Island City Dermatologist

Aging skin and your habits

+3

I once had the opportunity to have dinner with a physician from Nepal. He told me a very wise thing: "Habits are the cause of disease." Many of us are engaged in self-destructive behavior. Some of this is life threatening: abusing drugs, alcohol, and tobacco. I usually counsel new and old cosmetic surgery patients to stop smoking. This is much easier said than done. Tobacco is perhaps one of the most addictive drugs and it is widely available. One can see the damage this habit causes in the face. People who smoke age and die prematurely.

Sun precaution is yet another personal choice that can make a big difference. I question my patients who are using tanning beds or sunbathing. They feel a little guilty about the activity but not enough to change their behavior. You only need to see one young person die from melanoma to radically reshape your feelings about sun exposure!

I advise my patients that if they are serious about maintaining their good looks they need to protect themselves from the damaging effects of the sun. This does not mean living in a basement.

However, I advise selling the convertible, minimizing sunbathing, no tanning beds, and use of a full spectrum sunscreen. When you are going to be in the sun for a long time, use sun protective clothing, sunglasses and a nice broad brim hat. I practice in Los Angeles and some people feel they have to be tan for certain events. I advise a well done airbrushed faux tan.

Good habits now can help in the long run when it comes...

+3

Good habits now can help in the long run when it comes to your appearance.

• Sun avoidance, or using sunscreen with SPF >15 anytime you are outside will help prevent signs of early aging (not to mention skin cancer!)
  • Also, not smoking, drinking water throughout the day, avoiding excessive alcohol intake, and getting about 8 hours of sleep a night can work wonders.
  • A good skin care regimen is nice to do for your skin. This usually involves:
    • Daily cleanser
    • Moisturizer with sunscreen and an antioxidant in it
    • An exfoliant once or twice a week

These don't have to be super-expensive...Neutrogena and Olay are two brands that come to mind that are effective, inexpensive, and easy to find.

• If you are thinking about something with a little more "kick", then consider starting out with Botox (a selective muscle paralytic that temporarily weakens the muscles that cause frown lines, crows feet, and forehead furrows).
    • Hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or Juvederm are good for puffing up the lips or filling in deeper facial wrinkles like the nasolabial folds.

Jennifer L. Walden, MD

Healthy lifestyle, proper rejuvenation keys to aging gracefully [with video]

+2

The core of my facial aging practice are people in their 40s-60s. The skin and structure under the skin changes in the 40s. Although Botox is one procedure you may benefit from, there are many options to consider from chemical peels, lasers, fillers and as well as physical lifestyle changes to help you look your best.

One thing, I tell my patients is to do all the things that are healthy for your heart and your skin will benefit. This includes not smoking, eating a healthy diet, exercising and getting 8-10 hours of sleep a night. It's best that you seek a Cosmetic Surgeon who offers all aspects of facial rejuvenation from noninvasive to surgical to get a sense of what you can do and choose the options that work for you.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

How to prevent the aging face

+2

What can YOU do to reduce the effects of father time? First, take care of yourself. Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Don’t smoke. Cleanse, moisturize and protect your skin. Avoid the sun. Even if you do all of the above, the time may come when you search for ways to rejuvenate your face. This is when injectables and other options may come into play, which is too much to discuss here.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun Block is A MUST HAVE for EVERYONE

+2

I think the best tip is prevention of sun exposure. Sun exposure causes pre-mature aging and skin cancer. A good sun block with UVA and UVB protection will help limit your sun exposure and using Retinol (Vitamin A) and fruit acids will help to improve existing sun damage. A good moisturizer will keep you hydrated and facials will keep your pores clean and skin glowing.

Vivian Hernandez, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is inevitable

+2

There's no single way to improve your skin but there are some basic things that can stave off that facelift such as avoiding the sun, tobacco and bad eating habits. Your skin will reflect how well hydrated you are so listen to it. If you add skin care such as vit C products with Retin A in addition to your routine microderms and facials you can make a real difference to having nice soft skin. I really like the Obagi skin care system, they seem to be onto something and have been for the past several years. Add IPL or fraxel and thermage and you're hitting aging with everything you can.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Best thing for skin care in your 40's

+2

With so many products and procedures competing for your skin care dollars, it can be difficult to sort out the hype from what is truly useful. First thing to know is that moisturizers are cosmetic, not functional in the sense of altering the aging process, so don't waste money on expensive moisturizers. Secondly, diet actually makes a big difference. Antioxidants such as from berries, dark chocolate, and wine have been demonstrated to make measurable differences. (the oft-repeated recommendation to drink lots of water has not.) The one best product is tretinoin, or Retin-A. This has clearly stood the test of time and nothing in the non-prescription category does as much. And yes, be careful about sun exposure, particularly the UVA which causes aging. SPF rating only measures UVB, which is burning, and the UVA is present on overcast days and goes through window glass.

Richard Baxter, MD