Sagging Face - How to Tighten Skin?

i am really not enjoying how my face sags. i am only 46 and already seeing more sagging then my mother had at age 55! is this correctable at my age? will i need a face lift?

Facelift

+4

The gold-standard for sagging facial skin is a facelift. Without seeing pictures and/or examining you, it is hard to say with certainty. However, if you have loose sagging skin, then you need a facelift. Other products and treatments are available. However, these work best for mild wrinkles and skin texture. Facelift is a generic term and there are many procedures which fall under this category. You will need to see a surgeon in consultation for a complete examination and he or she will be able to individualize the surgery for what you need.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery

Facelift or Thermage

+2

The most recommended procedure to take care of the sagging facial skin would be a facelift. Facelift, or rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure to improve visible signs of aging on the face and neck. As individuals age, the skin and muscles of the face region begin to lose tone. The facelift cannot stop the process of aging. It can improve the most visible signs of aging by tightening deeper structures, re-draping the skin of face and neck, and removing selected areas of fat. A facelift can be performed alone, or in conjunction with other procedures, such as a browlift, liposuction, eyelid surgery, or nasal surgery.

Facelift surgery is individualized for each patient. The best candidates for facelift surgery have a face and neck line beginning to sag, but whose skin has elasticity and whose bone structure is well defined.

Alternative forms of management consist of not treating the laxness in the face and neck region with a facelift (rhytidectomy). Improvement of skin laxity, skin wrinkles and fatty deposits may be attempted by other treatments or surgery such as laser resurfacing, chemical face peels or liposuction. Risks and potential complications are also associated with alternative surgical forms of treatment. Thermage may be an option.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD