What Can I Do About Radiesse Lumps?

I had Radiesse done around my nasal folds and corners of my mouth area, and now I have 1 large bump on the inside of the left corner of my mouth. When I open it you can see white, and when I smile, in the crack at the corner you see a large bump. It makes my smile funny looking, and my teeth hit it when I eat. Is there anything I can do?????

Please help...

Radiesse lumps

+3

Radiesse is composed of essentially two main ingredients. The primary ingredient is a calcium like powder. The other is a gel like substance which gets absorbed over a 3 month period. As this occurs the lumps should resolve and/or disappear.

Radiesse bumps can be dissolved

+3

We find that Radiesse can be dissolved partiallly with cortisone injections.  We also find that laser treatments over the area, such as with GentleYag, can often reduce the bumps, but it must be performed within several weeks of the Radiesse injection.  Lastly, bumps that you can see inside the mouth can usually be expressed out (like a cyst) by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  A small puncture over the area is made first which is often requires no anesthesia and is very quick.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of nodules caused by Radiesse

+3

Radiesse is a good dermal filler but when injected poorly or in areas where it is not intended to be used such as around the mouth or eyes, it can be very problematic to correct.  Since Radiesse is a long acting filler that can last up to a 12-18 months, these nodules can last that long as well.  Unlike the hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm products which can be immediately broken down if needed by a dissolving substance called hyaluronidase, there is no substance that will dissolve Radiesse.  

None of my patients have ever had this problem; however, I have taken care of several patients from other injectors in my town.  The first thing that you need to do is contact your physician and let him or her know of the problem.  Massage is always helpful in speeding up the resolution of this problem.  Your physician may also choose to use saline or steroid injections to help resolve these nodules.  Worst case scenario, surgery may be needed to be performed to remove the nodules if all the above measures and time fails to reduce them.

I hope my answer was helpful. 

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

Radiesse lumps in the mouth

+3

Unfortunately, Radiesse has a tendency to clump in mobile areas such as the mouth. It is very important to see your injecting physician and let them know about this. Sometimes massage alone may help. Your physician can instruct you how to do this. If this doesn't work, then your physician may elect to break this up with a needle or even steroid injections. Finally, if this fails, they may elect to make a small incision in your mouth to remove it.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Radiesse Lumps

+2

Massage can help in the first few days of the injection, but unfortunately there is little that can be done except to wait for the body to metabolize the product. The lumps are from local collagen stimulation. This is why its so important to make sure you are being injected by an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse bumps

+2

This is an unfortunate yet common complication of Radiesse use.  I only use it when a patient specifically requests it, or in very coarse wrinkles of the nasolabial folds.  Lumps will sometimes be improved with massage.  If it is horribly bothersome, it can be carefully excised surgically from the inside of the cheek under local anesthesia, but I would preserve this option as a last resort. 

Jason R. Hess, MD

What Can I Do About Radiesse Lumps?

+2

In the first few days after injection, massage can help with lumps from Radiesse.  However, after that, it can be a difficult problem.  Steroid injections have been known to help somewhat.  Because it is a foreign substance, the body tries to attack it.  If the response is excessive, you may get a lump.  Steroids can decrease some of the immune reaction and help soften the lump.  The good news is that it will eventually go away by itself.  Unfortunately it might be a year or more.

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse Lumps

+2

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done about Radiesse lumps except to wait for them to be metabolized by the body.  That is way it is so important to make sure that you are being injected by an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is board certified.  There are some techniques with other injections of solutions and ultrasound which may speed of the process for the lump to resolve.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Radiesse bumps

+2

Radiesse bumps, or bumps with any filler are possible and dependent on the injector, technique used, and location injected. Unlike hyaluronic acid bumps which can easily be dissolved with hyaluronidase, radiesse is harder to get out or dissolve. Local anesthetic with aggressive massage is one option. Another technique which can work is injected normal saline into the nodule and again massaging it. Occasionally, a small cut is needed to extract the radiesse. Thankfully, with time, most nodules will disappear on their own.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesee bumps- causes and fixes

+2

Radiesse is an excellent filler but there are several causes of bumps.  First of all, Radiesse or any filler can cause localized swelling which can be mistaken for a bump (not the cause here by what sounds like to your question).  This swelling tends to disappear a few days after the injection.  In addition, if Radiesse is injected too superficially, it can lead to the issue of whitish discoloration.  Radiesse also should not be injected in areas where the skin is thin, due to the thicker nature of this filler.  Finally, Radiesse can congeal in select cases into an aggregation of material.

Treatment of Radiesse bumps is based on the cause.  In many cases, time allows for absorption of the filler and dissipation of the swelling.  If the Radiesse has congealed into a larger lump, localized massage can break up the Radiesse and allow it to be absorbed by the body.  In select cases, Kenalog injections can be helpful to break up the Radiesse, particularly in superficial locations.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon