What Can I Do About Itching and Flaking After Smartxide Treatment?

On the night of day 4, I had so much itching that it woke me up, to the point that I felt I was having some kind of "reaction". I took Benadryl and was able to go back to sleep. Until this point, everything has gone very smoothly. I had Fraxel 3 years ago, so I'm not new to this kind of treatment. But today, I'm still itching, and it came after 2 days of heavy flaking. Is this normal? What can I do about it?

Post-procedure laser resurfacing itching

+2

Post-op itching and insomnia is not unexpected after procedures such as fractional co2 laser or chemical peel as this may be part of normal wound healing. OTC hydrocortisone cream is a good start. Cool compress for 10 minutes every 2-4 hours can be quite helpful. You may want to ask the laser surgeon to consider prescribing doxepin to be taken at night for both itching and insomnia.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Aveeno anti-itch cream with colloidal oatmeal 1% Hydrocortisone

+1

There are a number of OTC products which should help you out. You might try Aveeno Anti-Itch cream with colloidal oatmeal and 1% hydrocortisone. Other OTC creams I like include Prax Lotion, Sarna and Itch X. If this does not work you could see your dermatologist and have them write for Pramasone Cream 2 1/2%, Xonalan or Epiceram.

Nurti-smoothe baths should also help.

Good luck.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist