What Can I Do About Itching and Flaking After Smartxide Treatment?

On the night of day 4, I had so much itching that it woke me up, to the point that I felt I was having some kind of "reaction". I took Benadryl and was able to go back to sleep. Until this point, everything has gone very smoothly. I had Fraxel 3 years ago, so I'm not new to this kind of treatment. But today, I'm still itching, and it came after 2 days of heavy flaking. Is this normal? What can I do about it?

Post-procedure laser resurfacing itching

+2

Post-op itching and insomnia is not unexpected after procedures such as fractional co2 laser or chemical peel as this may be part of normal wound healing. OTC hydrocortisone cream is a good start. Cool compress for 10 minutes every 2-4 hours can be quite helpful. You may want to ask the laser surgeon to consider prescribing doxepin to be taken at night for both itching and insomnia.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/What_s_New.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Aveeno anti-itch cream with colloidal oatmeal 1% Hydrocortisone

+1

There are a number of OTC products which should help you out. You might try Aveeno Anti-Itch cream with colloidal oatmeal and 1% hydrocortisone. Other OTC creams I like include Prax Lotion, Sarna and Itch X. If this does not work you could see your dermatologist and have them write for Pramasone Cream 2 1/2%, Xonalan or Epiceram.

Nurti-smoothe baths should also help.

Good luck.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist