Melasma Treatment That Works

Is There an Effective Lasting Treatment or Remedy for Melasma? I have had a chemical peel, and it improved a lot but as soon as i am in sunshine again (with sunscreen and hats) it gets worse again. it has been this way for 2 years.

Melasma treatment should include sunscreen

+3

Melasma or excessive pigmentation is a common problem that can be difficult to treat. There may be several treatments for melasma, but nothing is more important than prevention of melasma with daily use of a chemical-free sunblock with an SPF of 50 or higher. Ideally, sunblock will be applied to exposed skin multiple times each day. In addtion to sunblock, mineral makeup can help to protect the skin from damaging UV rays. But, mineral makeup is absolutely not a substitute for sunblock.

Medical treatments to improve melasma include IPL and the Gentlelase Alexandrite laser. Deep chemical peels carry a high risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. We feel the results of IPL treatments or the Alexandrite laser are much safer and more predictable than the results of deep chemical peels.Even light treatments like microdermabrasion or Lactic acid peels require extra sunblock maintenence in order to protect the skin from further damage.

A medical spa owned and operated by a physician should have muiltiple lasers and both non-invasive and minimally invasive treatments to correct melasma. Physician owned medical spas should also have medical grade skin care to protect the skin from future damage and to aid in anti-aging.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Melasma requires constant vigilance

+3

Melasma is known for recurrence. Chemical peel, SilkPeel and Fraxel Restore are the best options for correction, but the maintenaince program AFTER treatment is very important. Anthelios XL for sunscreen must be done daily, rain or shine, January or June. I also recommend topical vitamin C and Heliocare, which is an oral sun protectant. If possible, avoid estrogen (such as in oral contraceptives). Pregnancy is a known trigger as well. Lastly, Triluma is a topical product that is one of the best for preventing repigmentation.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Permanent cure cannot be achieved for melasma

+2

Melasma is a skin pigmentation disorder worsened by genetic characteristics, hormones, your genetics, and the sun.

There is no single cure for melasma, but there are many behavior modifications and topical treatments that are effective.

Begin with a solid and physician regulated topical therapy including retinoids and hydroquinone. If performed correctly, this will alleviate the majority of melasma related symptoms.  I recommend the Melarase AM and Melarase PM skin brightening creams.  I you have oily skin, supplement with the MelaPads. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Melasma treatment requires follow up procedures at regular intervals.

+1

Many treatments including laser and chemical peels help to achieve some improvement in pigmentation, but recurrence is always possible. To maintain results, check with your doctor about a home treatment plan, but you may also have to consider periodic in clinic treatments. There is no long term remission possible with melasma.

Renita Lourdhurajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist