Safest Ingredients in Toothpaste and Mouthwash

i read that some toothpastes are too abrasive and other ingredients. I bought toms maine mouthwash but found it burned. no alcohol but maybe witch hazel is the problem? what ingredients should i look for in my toothpase or mouthwash?
L.P.

In toothpastes, I would avoid silica. It is abrasive and...

+2

In toothpastes, I would avoid silica. It is abrasive and can wear away teeth structure.

Calcium Peroxide is an excellent and safe whitening agent. Look for it in toothpastes.

With mouthwashes, I would be wary of excess alcohol. There are fears that too much alcohol, particularly with smokers, can have a potential carcinogenic effect.

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Most toothpastes are basically flavored detergents...

+2

Most toothpastes are basically flavored detergents invented by soap manufacturers over 100 years ago.

Recent studies show that using these oral products can destabilize the very important natural microflora of the mouth called the oral biofilm. Products that contain detergents like sodium laurel sulfate, and alcohol in mouthwashes act to denature, dehydrate, and disturb the oral biofilm.

Try antioxidant pastes like Revitin, alcohol-free mouth rinses, and avoid products that contain chemical additives like triclosan and chlorhexidine which are harmful to the oral biofilm when used on a chronic basis.

Gerry Curatola, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist