What is ArteFILL Supposed to Treat?

Does ArteFILL have any off-label uses?

Artefill Uses

+2

Artefill is a "permanent" filler, meaning it lasts longer than the temporary 6-12 month fillers. It seems to last about 5-7 years. It is a great option for nasolabial folds and cheekbones, and not ideal for the lip. Unfortunately there is no antidote like hyaluronidase to inject into it if you're not happy with it. It is also a great way to fill in acne scars that are depressed.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

The availability of a safe, permanent, FDA-approved...

+2

The availability of a safe, permanent, FDA-approved filler, namely Artefill, should be exciting to any patient who has been pleased with their results from temporary injectables. Although FDA-approved specifically for cosmetic correction of the nasolabial folds, I have also had excellent results using it off-label for treatment of the marionette lines (which extend downwards from the corners of the mouth).

Because it is permanent, most physicians remain cautious as far as injecting this product off-label in such areas as the tear trough hollows below the eyes or in the lips.

Artefill is a great injectable - safe, soft, smooth, and permanent. It does seem expensive when compared on a per syringe basis with temporary injectables like Restylane. As a long term investment, however, it is makes sense to pay less upfront for a permanent result than one would pay over time for multiple injection sessions resulting only in temporary results. Not to mention that fewer injection sessions also means less pain, bruising, swelling, and downtime.

I have found that although patients want long-term results, as in a year or two, they also fear the idea of permanence. Truthfully, they should be wary. Unsupervised nurse injectors and non-physician owned and managed 'medical spas' are common in Los Angeles. When considering treatment with a permanent injectable, patients would be wise to choose an experienced, board certified physician injector, preferably someone who they have come to know and trust from having undergone temporary injection treatments.

John M. Roesler, MD

Off Label Uses for Artefill

+1
Like most products and drugs, there are off-label uses for Artefill. As a smooth natural filler that asks you to make or build your own tissue it can really be used almost anywhere. The limiting factor is usually money as it can sometimes take a lot of filler to correct a problem. So far, have used it in the following areas:

• nasolabial folds (smile lines)
  • under the eyes
  • above the eyes
  • brows
  • temples
  • jaw line
  • nose
  • lips 
  • jowls
  • marionette lines
  • ear lobes
  • acne scars
  • liposuction defects
  • back of the hands
  • depreessed scars
The correction is almost 100% predictable and so far it looks like the product will last at least 7 years, which is how long I have been using it.  My patients often ask me why anyone would get any other filler!

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Artefill - where is it used

+1

Aretfill is FDA approved for use in the nasolabial folds.  This is where I most commonly use it.  However, it can be used off label to fill in other areas like the marionette lines etc.  The only area I would definitely not use it is the lips.  Overall it's a great product and lasts significantly longer than most fillers.

Dr. Cat Begovic.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Artefill Uses in the Face and Body

+1

Artefill is currently being studied for use in other facial and non-facial areas besides the nasolabial folds and marionette lines.  Many of us who use it like to inject the nose with it for the "lunch time nose job" and the jawline to hide the jowls. 

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon