What Are my Options for Having Tooth Gap Fixed or Reduced?

3 options: Veneers, bonding or orthodontics

+2

The most common remedy for a small gap, in my practice is doing a conservative approach through dental bonding. Depends on the size of the teeth around the gap. Obviously, veneers or bonding will increase the size (width) of the teeth used to close the gap. If you like the size of the teeth, just not the gap- look in to Invisalign.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Closing the gap

+1

I assume you are concerned about a gap between the front teeth, commonly known as a diastema.  Closure of a diastema can be done through several methods.  Dental bonding with tooth colored composites can close small gaps by widening the teeth on both sides of the gap.  Porcelain veneers can do the same, however I often suggest veneering the front 4-6 teeth to help balance tooth shape along the entire tooth arch and eliminate front teeth that look too squared off.  Another option is moving the teeth together using orthodontics, traditional or clear aligners such as Invisalign.  Bonding is the least expensive method.  I will often test the aesthetics of bonding by applying and carving wax or unbonded composite to the area temporarily and let the patient go home to see how they and their family members like the new smile before making a permanent change to the teeth.

Marc Zive, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist