What Can I Expect After Laser Eye Surgery?

Laser Surgery

+1

You need to be specific about whether you are having the upper or lower eyes treated, and what procedure is being done….such as fat removal, blepharoplasty, canthopexy, etc. Thank you for your question and good luck.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Laser Blepharoplasty- what is in it for me?

+1

Laser skin resurfacing helps to reduce wrinkles, improves skin quality by removing sun damage, and helps to smooth the crepe paper changes in the lower eyelids.  Healing takes about 10 days.  I have been doing this procedure since the early 1990's.  The results are very long lasting, and I am now seeing patients coming in for a second treatment more than 10 years after their initial treatment.  Unlike a traditional lower eyelid tuck, there are NO incisions or scars on the lower eyelid in this type of operation- all the work is done from the upper eyelid and from the inside of the eyelid.  Results are very satisfying and definitely worth it.

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Laser eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty requires a week to 10 days for swelling to resolve

+1

I assume you are writing about laser blepharoplasty which is laser eyelid surgery to remove hooding of the upper eyelids and remove bags, loose skin and wrinkles from the lower eyelids. If you are writing about laser refractional surgery you need to search an Ophthamology website.

The CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser is used to make the incision whoich is used to remove excess upper eyelid skin. Usually , on the lower eyelid, a laser lower blepharoplasty is done through the inside pink portion of the eyelid-avoiding an external visible scar--this is called a transconjunctival blepharoplasty.

The actual technique is similar to a scalpel blepahroplasty. the difference is gthat there is less bleeding and thius less bruising when the laser is used as opposed to a scalpel. the laser seals the blood vessels as it cuts unlike the scalpel.

Typoically, with less bruising the recovery period is shorter in my experience than with scalpel blepharoplasty. While traditional scalpel blepharoplasty can produce bruising lasting up to 3 weeks, laser blepharoplasty often produces no bruising, or if bruising does occur it is minor and rsolves in 10-12 days at most.

After surgery you will be instructed to keep ice on the eyelids for 24 hours, keep your head elevated even when sleeping 9as in a recliner or with pillows propping you up), and will be asked not to exert yourself or do anything to raise your blood pressure for the first week to 10 days. I ask my patients to avoid running and vigorous exercise for 3 weeks after any eyelid surgery to avoid the risk of bleeding.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Laser Eye Surgery

+1

This is a hard question to answer since you are very vague. Laser blepharoplasty is done with the CO2 laser. The laser is used for cutting and as it cuts it seals the blood vessals, the nerves and the lymphatics so there is less swelling, bruising and discomfort. Downtime is 7-14 days depending on the swelling and bruising. The laser can also be used fractionated for wrinkle erasing. Downtime is 4-7 days.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon