How to Avoid Lisa Rinna Lips?

I don't want Lisa Rinna looking lips! What lip injection method/technique gives real natural appearing lips (that are full)??

Lisa Rinna's lips!

+9

When you walk into a room, your lips should not enter the room before the rest of your body. I don't know how many of you watched the recent red carpet style show hosted by Lisa Rinna, but her upper lips look like they have growths, especially the upper right corner.

Aside from avoiding whomever injected her lips and whatever was put into her poor lips, here are the essentials of sexy, beautiful lips.

• Sculping lips is an art. The person injecting should have a sense of aesthetics, balance, and symmetry.
  • "Less is often more" when it comes to lips. More product can always be addedif needed.
  • All lips are not the same, so a standard "recipe" does not apply.
  • The lip should be enlarged only enough to return natural fullness and shape.
  • The upper lip should always be about 70% the size of the lower lip. If you see an upper lip that is larger than the lower, bingo, you know that some things been put in those lips (i.e. Julia Roberts in Ocean's 11).
  • Only the middle 2/3 of the lower lip should be injected to avoid a lower lip "sausage" appearance.
  • When the lips apear natural and very "kissable." I know that I have reached the end point of the augmentation.
  • Patients state that they feel Juviderm is the smoothest product in their lips. Restylane is also good. Radiesse causes lumps and bumps for a long time, so avoid it.
  • If you decide to have fat transfer, be careful of the amount and placement of the fat.
  • I'd avoid the "permanant fillers" like Silicone, and Soft Form.

Go for temporary before permanent

+6

I would echo Dr. Persky's sentiment - with a few additional points.

In patients who are interested in lip augmentation, there are temporary solutions and permanent ones. Currently there are several permanent solutions for lip augmentation including fat transfer (transferring fat from the belly or thigh to the lips) and silicone or ePTFE implants. I favor fat transfer to implants because fat is the patient's own body material and not a foreign substance which is introduced. This decreases the risk of infection and extrusion.

In my patients who are considering a fat transfer to the lip I strongly recommend a temporary filler first. The good and the bad part about temporary fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane is that they are temporary. If you do not like the results, they will go away in a matter of a few months, but if you like the results you will have to come back for another treatment or a more permanent solution. By going with the temporary filler first, patients are able to see what the expected results would be with fat transfer and decide if they like them. If so, we can proceed with fat transfer once the filler has gone.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to avoid duck lips after lip augmentation

+5

The first thing you need to do is avoid having too much product injected initially. You can always have more product injected if you are not happy with the fullness after the initial injections. But depending on which product is injected, the opposite may not be true. Start small and move up if you need more product.

Consider having your practitioner inject the vermilion border (where the edge of the lip meets the skin) instead of just the body of the lip. Many overdone celebrities have a huge amount of product injected into the body of the lip, causing them to roll outward. In the process, the border of the lip is lost and this is what contributes to the ducky outward rolling look.

Avoid "done" lips

+4

One tell-tale sign of obivious work done is a bad upper lip augmentation. Traditionally, a bad lip augmentation has this "ducky" look to the upper lip.

What causes this look? I feel is it a not paying attention to facial aesthetic and creating facial harmony.

The "ducky" lips appear so for several reasons. The major reason is because the upper lip projects too far from the face and lower lip. Facial aesthetics guidelines suggest the ideal upper lip position should be slightly more projected from the lower lip, which is slightly more projected than the chin.

Another reason lips may look "done," is inappropriately adding volume to the lips in wrong places. Frequently, lips are injected with synthetic gels (Restylane is a popular example). This gel should be evenly distributed throughout the upper lip. Injecting too much material at the junction of the true lip and skin can create a "ducky" appearance to the lip.

In general, I would agree with the other surgeons on the recommendation in using temporary injectables first before using a more permanent material. Consult your local facial plastic surgeon to learn more.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with natural results

+3

The key to getting good results with lip augmentation is to observe the following rules:

1) Avoid permanent fillers: The lips are complex 3-dimensional structures which change over the course of a lifetime. Even if you were to get an acceptable result initially with a permanent filler such as silicone, there is no guarantee that this will continue to be the case. You mentioned Lisa Rinna in your question and she has been very open about the fact that she had undergone silicone injections in her lips and had to go through revision surgery to have it removed.  

2) Select the right temporary filler: My preference is to use Restylane or Juvederm. Both products are natural feeling gels which have the advantage of being dissolvable in the unlikely event that there were any lump, asymmetry, or if the patient didn't like the effect. Both also come premixed with lidocaine, to make the injections as comfortable as possible. Avoid Radiesse, which is wonderful for deeper augmentation of the cheeks and filling deeper wrinkles, but not appropriate for the lips. 

3) Be conservative: It is better for your physician to err on the side of placing a little less filler initially, with the idea that more can be added as a touchup in a few days. 

4) Go with a surgeon or dermatologist who is experienced in injecting the lips and ask to see before/after photos. 

Best of luck to you!

Regards,

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

One of the tell tale signs of a "bad" result (my...

+3

One of the tell tale signs of a "bad" result (my opinion) is when after augmentation, there is unnatural disproportion between the upper and lower lips (often an over-augmented upper lip). The "norm" is for the upper lip to be less full than the lower lip - according to the "golden proportion" the lower lip should be about 60% fuller than the upper lip (1.6:1, the Fibonacci Sequence).

When augmenting the lips it is important to pay attention to the baseline balance and proportionally enhance both the lower and upper lip.

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm or Restylane For Natural Looking Lips

+2

The first thing I would recommend is not getting permanent fillers in your lips simply because there is a lot of movement in the lips and can easily disfigure the silicone implanted, go with Juvederm or Restylane instead. Stay away from silicone in the lip area as well, there are many risk involved in having silicone in or around that area. Even with Juvederm and Restylane, it is best to avoid over enhancement. Those would usually look unnatural.

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-juvederm/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation, Fuller Lips, Beverly Hills Lip Augmentation, Beverly Hills Lip Enhancement

+2

It is rumored that this is the result of silicone injected directly into the lips which is absolutely the wrong way to have your Lips Augmented IMHO.  Permanent injections last forever and silicone has many risks and complications that are well documented and can be found in a simple imnternet search. 

Use Alloderm placed inside the lips for Lip Augmentation that's natural lasting about 7 years or use a filler like Restylane or Juvederm along the border of the lips only.

Natural looking lip augmentation is possible and common

+2

It is always unfortunate when there are "bad-looking" results from fillers as it can scare away the many people whom could really enjoy these treatments. Plastic surgeons are well-trained in "normal", and this is usually what people want to look like, just "better".  In Hollywood there is sometimes  a somewhat different idea of "beautiful", as there are celebrities that purposefully pursue a "hyper-sexualized" appearance with very large bust sizes, lips, etc. I tell my clients that the really good filler treatments are the ones that are NOT noticed, and that there are a lot of these. If you communicate very clearly with an experienced  injector, (maybe even bring a photo of lips you like), you should have a good result.

Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Lisa Rinna Lips

+2

Hi,

This is an interesting question because she recently had a magazine article in People about how she started with Silicone many years ago for lip augmentation and recently found a plastic surgeon to cut it out.  I would definitely avoid permanent fillers in the lips such as Silicone, implants, Artefill.  The problem with permanent fillers in the lips is that the lips are highly mobile and any reactions to the fillers such as lumpiness or allergic reactions tend to spread around the lips and cannot be removed short of surgically removing them.  Lucky for Lisa she found a talented plastic surgeon to remove her Silicone and leave her with more naturally beautiful lips!

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon