I want to stop furrowing my brows when I squint. Is Botox good for this?

I am 24, and my brow tends to be furrowed and angry-looking. I furrow it even more when I think. People have told me it is distracting and will ruin my chances at impressing at interviews. Is Botox a good choice if I want to completely paralyze my brows? Will 20 units be enough?

Botox for frowning?

+2
You are correct in thinking that Botox can be helpful.  Frowning is the original.indication for Botox, and many pbysicians are adept at treating this area, but it would not be possible to determine the correct dose without examining you.  I like to use a low dose with the first treatment, and only top it up if necessary, saving the patient money and limiting potential side effects.

BOTOX® is ideal for smoothing forehead furrows.

+1
Beginning BOTOX® injections in your 20s can not only help diminish existing frown lines and wrinkles, but may also help delay the formation of deeper lines for longer. Certainly some well-placed BOTOX® injections from a highly experienced injector can help your brow look less furrowed and “angry” even when your face is at rest. However, I would say that your goal of “completely paralyzing” the brows is not realistic nor is totally freezing movement in the brow area recommended. Retaining a range of motion is essential for the best, most natural looking results.

Joseph J. Castellano, MD
Tampa General Surgeon

Botox for furrows

+1
Yes, a Botox treatment is an ideal solution to prevent furrowing your brown and looking angry. Botox works by relaxing the frowning muscles (also known as the Glabellar Complex) so that you are unable to make the movements that are undesirable. It will also help to decrease your risk of forming lines in this area with regular Botox treatments at 3-4 month intervals. The number of units required will be determined in your consultation with you cosmetic physician.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Botox, Dysport or Xeomin

+1
Botox, Dysport or Xeomin would be perfect if used judiciously. It would decrease the furrow in your brow. You would probably require close to 40 units. Twenty units would be least you could use.

Michael Stefan, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

I want to stop furrowing my brows when I squint. Is BoTox good for this?

+1
Hello! You appear to be a perfect candidate.  BoTox is often used to control animation as it paralyzes the movement of muscles. 20-30units in the forehead and glabellar area should ameliorate the wrinkles to the area. The effects should provide a smooth, more vibrant appearance along with ridding the wrinkles and animation to the areas. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Botox for 20-30 Year Olds?

+1
  • Botox will definitely improve, or possibly make disappear altogether, the furrows of your brow. 
  • 20 units usually is enough, as you mention. 
  • Botox is becoming more common in our practice among men and women in their twenties and thirties. 
  • Botox will help erase that "angry" looking appearance from your face. 
  • Definitely meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out more!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Botox for treatment of furrowing

+1
Great question! Botox is the best treatment for treatment of furrowing.  It is actually facial muscles in the area which causes this effect.  Botox weakens these muscles to soften and even eliminate this angry looking effect.  I think you will be very pleased with this type of treatment.  Good luck!

Michele Burgess, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologist

Botox for furrowing of the brows

+1
Thank you for your question.  In short, yes, this is exactly what Botox has been FDA approved for--glabellar lines from furrowing of the brow.  Botox works by paralyzing the muscles so that they cannot make wrinkles on the face.  Thus, Botox is preventive.  If you already have lines, they will gradually soften but will not go away after just one treatment.  Best advice is to stick with it and you will get the results you are looking for.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Softening frown lines and glabellar furrows with Botox

+1
Botox is the best treatment for softening your frown lines and glabellar furrows to make you look less angry.  These lines are caused by the movement of your corrugator and procerus muscles.  By relaxing these muscles, your furrows will not be as deep, and it will soften your look.  

20 units is an effective does for the majority of patients, and if need be additional Botox can be added during your 2 week follow-up visit if there is residual muscle activity.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

want to stop furrowing my brows when I squint. Is Botox good for this

+1
Yes, this is exactly what Botox/Xeomin/Dysport are for!  I have many patients with your exact complaint...looking angry when they are not.  Botox a couple of times a year would give you the look you desire.