Can alar base be altered for nostrils being too round? (Photo)

I am trying to word my question properly. My alar base sits up from my face and my nostrils curve under. When I have rhinoplasty, will my nostrils be very round? When my tip is refined, I don't want to be left with very round odd-looking nostrils. Is it possible to reduce the bottom (sill) of alar base so that the rims attach to my face instead of curve under in a circle? And is this a ligitimate concern based on my photo?

Too round nostrils

+2
Certainly what you ask can be done but what needs to be addressed is the boxy tip. It is pretty amazing how once the tip is refined the rest of the nostril can be left alone and look different in a good way. Usually when we perform alar base manipulation it is because a patient has flaring of the nostrils or a wide nasal base. The best thing for you is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon to examine your nose and give you an opinion. You may need several opinions.

Alar Base

+2
Hi there,

It is a bit difficult to give an opinion based on one photograph, as other surgeons have said, you need to have a consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon to be fully assessed.

Based on your photo though, the main issue seems to be the width of your tip (Boxy). Once this is narrowed, which would be part of any standard rhinoplasty, I think the shape of your nostrils and alar base will be fine. Currently they do stand  a bit vertical from your face, but if you narrow the tip they will slope in towards the tip which will be more aesthetic. Your nostrils and alar base do not seem overly wide so I dont think an alar base reduction will be required.

Cheers

Richard

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Alar base

+2
Yes but a tip rhinoplasty would give a better result than just base reduction as seen in the one posted photo//

Alar base question

+2
You photos plus your text do a good job of demonstrating the specific feature you desire changed.  When the sill and the junction of the ala to the cheek/lip are raised up prominently as in your case it is a difficult problem to solve.  That is the bad news - it is not easy to make it more flush.  With that said a rhinoplasty will improve the overall appearance of you nose so that his is not as noticeable or objectionable.  Making the tip more refined dealing with alar flare, etc will improve the overall shape.  Your nostrils can be made less round, but again it is difficult to make them more flush with your lip and cheek without making them look operated on.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Nasal tip and base

+2
It looks like you have a very bulbous tip which can be treated during an open rhinoplasty, and if the base is wide or flaring, this can be treated as well.

Alar base reduction.

+2
The alar base reduction at the side of the ala leaves x very bad scar so I NEVER make that one. Your tip should be refined and I need to see better photos to tell u what is appropriate for u. 

Correcting "Round" Nostrils

+2
You can achieve the desired result by narrowing and refining the tip and reducing both the width and flare of your nostrils rims and alar base.

Can alar base be altered for nostrils being too round?

+1
Tip refinement and alar base alteration may help address your concerns.  More photos would be necessary to make a determination.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.