Is recovery for a TT and BBL easier for a person who is 5'3" and 120 lbs vs a person who is 5'3" and 150 lbs, I am the former.

I have been reading posts on the ladies TT and BBL Recoveries and they say it's a tough recovery, then I read a post from a lady who is my size which is 5'3" and 120 lbs, she said her recovery was very easy. Is this due to size?

Tummy tuck recovery

+2
The healthier and stronger you are preoperatively, the easier your recovery will be. In my office, we find patients who are within 10% of their ideal body weight experience the best results with the easiest recovery. Good luck!

Recovery from a Tummy tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift?

+2

Recovery from a tummy tuck and BBLdepends on many factors including: Surgery being performed by an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), being at your optimal weight, the extent of the procedure, individual tolerance to discomfort and pain, extent of postoperative activity, underlying medical health, whether a pain pump or Exparel was used at the time of surgery to diminish discomfort, and following all of your plastic surgeon's instructions.

All other things being equal, there should not be a significant difference in recovery in the 2 theoretical patients you cited because of size.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tt and bbl

+2

Thank you for the question.  Patient's who are at an ideal body weight certainly have a better chance at a better result and easier recovery than someone who is not. That does not mean that someone who is above ideal body weight cannot get an excellent result and have an easy rec

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Recovery

+1

I believe that every patient is different than other patients and recovery might be better or worse for some regardless of the procedure you get. Talk to your PS to see what medication options you might have for post op that would help with pain and discomfort.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Tummy Tuck

+1
Recovery after a tummy tuck varies for each person.  Weight is usually not a good measure of the likelihood of post-operative pain, but because of the short term severe decrease in activity, it may take a heavier person longer to regain there stamina. 

Scott Haupt, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery is more about the individual than the size of the individual!

+1

Of course, obese patients do have higher risks and somewhat more difficult recoveries than someone at "ideal" weight, but in both cases elective cosmetic surgery is not done unless the patient is healthy and cleared for surgery by their physician. 30 pounds is not the MAIN difference, since two patients of identical weight and having identical surgeries can and do have widely different experiences as far as their recovery.

There are significantly more individual differences in pain and ease of movement between patients than 30 pounds would explain. If you asked 100 women undergoing TT and BBL surgeries to list their recovery "toughness" or pain levels an a scale from 1 to 10, you would get a bell-shaped curve centered over a certain number. But individual patients, like those you cite in the posts you read, are going to be all over the map, and really have no significance other than as data points in the whole scope of responses.

Ask your friends who have had babies how painful or difficult childbirth was, and you will get a huge variation in responses. Taking three responses and trying to correlate these responses to an individual variable like weight is not of any value. 

Frankly, your recovery will be as individual as you, and may be more a result of your own enthusiasm (or anxiety) than anything else! Trust your surgeon to do careful and excellent surgery and you will do just fine! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

I have been reading posts on the ladies TT and BBL Recoveries and they say it's a tough recovery, then I read a post from a lady

+1

Recovery varies from patient to patient. The closer one is to an ideal weight the better the chance for an excellent result and for a quicker recovery. But as long as the height weight discrepancy and, therefore, the BMI is not too great one should be able to get a very good result and a satisfactory post-op course.

George Lefkovits, MD

Recovery after TT and BBL is very individual, consider a pain pump

+1
I have done hundreds of TT's and I really can't say that it is easier if you are 120 rahter than 150 lbs. I've seen some overweight indiviuals make it look very easy and I've also seen some women in great shape take longer than usual. Recovery is a very individual thing. Adequate planning helps a lot. That includes arranging your help ahead of time, taking enough time off work, and coordinating with your doctor to have adequate and safe pain control. I have found using a "pain pump", which delivers long acting local anesthetic into the surgical area for days afterwards, to be a big help in making recovery easier. I have no financial interest in the device.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Recovery easier for 120 or 150 pound person?

+1
Post operative recovery varies widely from one person to the next. This has much more to do with individual intrinsic pain tolerences than it does with the weight or the size of the patient. 

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

BBL recovery

+1
Recovery from a BBL will vary from person to person. I do not think it should be harder or easier for a person of your size compared to someone a bit larger than you.