My Second Face Lift in 20 Years?

Why is it harder for a surgeon to do a face lift on a person who has had one in the past? I am 58 and had a face lift 20 years ago and I need it done again. What is the reason for difficulties on this second surgery? I am very healthy and I do need it.

My Second Face Lift in 20 Years?

+4

If the first surgeon did a good job with the dissection and the flaps were dissected uniformly, the revision is easier as the plane is already created.  I did a seventh facelift on a woman and found it to be no challenge whatsoever.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts, facelift revisions, and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Secondary facelifts.

+3

After 30 years of practice, I have performed numerous secondary facelifts. The surgeries are often easy to perform and less down time for the patient. In addition, we now have additional procedures such as fat fills and peri oral rejuvenation which can be added. I would go for it if I was you. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Challenges with revision rhytidectomy

+3

Revision surgery can present a challenge for a number of reasons.  The SMAS layer, which is used to anchor the face during the "lift" is often attenuated, thinned or missing to varying degrees in patients with prior surgery.  In addition, incision design and placement is critical to a successful rhytidectomy result.  If a previous surgery used poorly placed incisions, then this can make a revision surgery more difficult.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Is a second face lift more difficult

+2

Thank you for asking about having a second face lift.

1. A second face lift is often easier for both surgeon and patient. 
  2. You may have a super-cautious face lift surgeon or he may have concerns he hasn't shared with you.
  3. West Virginia has a number of excellent Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. If your first surgeon can't explain his opinion, a second might be helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

My Second Face Lift in 20 Years?

+2

I am not certain that all repeat Facelifts pose an issue.  I have numerous patients that have come back for their second facelifts and other than some scar tissue, within the facial tissues, the facelift went perfectly.  With the newer minimal incision, less dissection versions of facelifts, there should be even less issues.  Experienced Facelift Surgeons should not have a problem in my opinion.

Second Facelift More Difficult?

+2

A second facelift is not always more difficult. Having been in practice for over 35 years I've had the opportunity to do a second facelift on some of my patients and always enjoy the opportunity. If there were problems with the first surgery the operation would be more difficult but this is rare and you would know that before surgery. 

Second facelift

+2

A second facelift is not necessarily more difficult than the original surgery.  In fact, sometimes it is easier.  The surgeon may be locked in to incision sites due to the previous treatment but this rarely is a major problem.  The trick is for the surgeon to give you a natural look and not over do skin tightening.  Donald R. Nunn MD   Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Secondary facelift surgery

+2

A revision facelift is not any more difficult than a primary facelift but does present challenges that must be overcome including old scar placement and thining of the deeper tissues, deep scar tissue etc.    Revision and secondary facelifts 10 to 15 years are not uncommon and an experienced and skilled plastic surgeon should be able to help you acheive your goals. 

Revision Face Lift

+2

Taylor there are many reasons a revision facelift can be more challenging than a primary facelfit.  One of the biggest reasons is the scar tissue that has developed from your previous surgery.  Additionally, some of the deeper tissue that is often used to secure the lift may not be as strong.  Having said that, it's not uncommon for patients to require "tuck ups" or revisions after serveral years.   Be sure your surgeon is comfortable with revision procedures and you should be able to enjoy an excellent outcome!

Anthony E. Brissett, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would not agree with this proposition.

+2

Revisional facelifts are generally not harder than primary facelifts.  There can be certain challenges to the revisional facelift and the goals may be a bit different now that you are 20 years older.  As my father liked to say, if the butcher tells you the meat is bad, you should listen.  If you have been told by a surgeon, that they are uncomfortable doing your revisional facelift, you should consult other surgeons.