Can I get my silicone breast implants removed using just local & IV sedation? Why or why not?

I know PS's can take Saline out with local- Also I realize there may be more issues to deal with concerning silicone implants, such as contamination of the capsule etc so the surgery may end up being more involved.. Here's the thing- if a PS will take out my silicone breast implants (325cc subcu) & he/she finds an issue with "other stuff," then I am willing to come back & be put to sleep for the "other stuff"-- just want these implants out asap with the least time & expense for now.

+1
Hello and thanks for your question.
Yes. the implant can be removed under local with IV sedation. But it is important to make sure that the implant are intact and there has been no rupture.
Also, you should make sure that there is no capsular contracture (no excess scar tissue) around the implant.
An examination and discussion of risks and benefits can help you make the best decision.
Dr Sajjadian

Implant removal with IV sedation and local anesthesia

+1
It may be possible for you to have your implants removed with IV sedation.  There are factors involved, which include your medical history, condition of the implants, and the amount of breast tissue you have.  Discuss your concerns with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon during your exam.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+1
Thank you for the question. Assuming the silicone gel breast implants have not ruptured and the surrounding breast implant capsules are soft (no capsule work necessary), you should be able to have this procedure performed under local with intravenous sedation. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast implant removal concerns, helpful to you. Best wishes.

+1
Your implants can be removed with IV sedation and local anesthesia. If the capsule is very soft internally it does not have to be removed. You just need to find the right provider and have the appropriate physical exam findings to support the use of that type of anesthesia. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast implant removal under local anaesthesia

+1
Hi there,

It's absolutely possible to have implants removed under local anaesthesia and sedation - with one proviso:  that the implants are known to be intact and not ruptured.  

If the implants are known to be intact, then using local to numb the incision , opening a tiny hole into the capsule and hydrodistending (pumping up) the capsule with dilute local is simple and very effective. Removal of the implants should be quite comfortable.

However if there is any possibility of rupture, then a capsulectomy should be planned and performed as there may be intracapsular silicon gel which should be removed also, and a general anaesthetic is by far the best way for this to be done with comfort for you (and your surgeon).

All the best, hope this helps.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Can I get my silicone breast implants removed using just local & IV sedation?

+1
Yes, but if the implants are of a larger size it will take a larger incision to get them out since there is a lot of pulling and stretching during the explantation. If you want to keep the scars as small as when they were put in a short general is the way to go. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD