Will my Scar Around the Nipple Be Visible Because my Nipples Are Small N a Little Darker?

Im 25yrs old and im 5'2 and weight only 90 pounds. Im very concerned about having an ugly scar n maybe i should go under the armpits but will they be able to look natural and be under the muscle still? Im very scared because im very skinny and small but i still want a natural look with the less visible scar if is possible. Please help

Breast Augmentation Scars

+2

Your concerns about the appearance of the scar after a breast enlargement are well founded. I do not like the axillary (arm pit) approach, as I have found that the scar is frequently not as ideal as one would like. The scar around the areola (the dark area around the nipple) works exceptionally well and hides because the scar is hidden in the change of color, and most people see that change and not the scar. This incision works very well with saline implants and, depending on the size of your areola, many of the silicone breast implants. However, if your areola is small and you need a large implant and wish to use silicone, an inframammary incision may need to be used. This is because the newer form stable implants need larger incisions in order to get them in without risking having them rupture later from the force of insertion.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

+2

The vast majority of incisions used for breast enlargement heal nicely. If one the common incisions were truly better than the others, we would all use the same incision and not offer a choice. 

My general preference is the breast fold, others prefer the areola, and others the axilla. If you have chosen saline, you might also consider insertion through the navel, though most of us who used to do many of these with that incision use it much less frequently because of the wide preference for silicone gel. 

Concentrate on choosing an experienced surgeon, look at scar photos. I find that choice of incision should be one of the lesser considerations but since there is a choice, it gets much attention!

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Proper Scar Care Will Help Make Scarring Less Visible

+1
The peri-areolar incision is made along the lower border of the pigmented skin around the nipple (the areola). This second type of incision is commonly used in women with a poorly defined fold under the breast, as long as their nipple size is not too small. It is another popular incision and usually heals quite well, resulting in an almost "invisible" surgery scar. However, if your areola size is quite small, an inframammary fold may be better. With proper scar care, you won't be left with an "ugly scar". Properly healed inframammary scars appear as faint, silvery lines that can be well hidden by a bra.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Access incision for breast augmentation

+1

There are 3 incisions acceptable to the implant companies to maintain warranty: under arm, around nipple, and at breast fold. The breast fold incision may be the better access incision for your presentation. You should talk to your plastic surgeon about this. The breast fold incision is well hidden, heals very well, and provides the surgeon very reliable access for breast augmentation.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Scar Concerns for Breast Augmentation

+1

If you want the least scar burden, the transumbilical augmentation has a less than 1 inch scar in the hood of the belly button, which cannot be seen.  Transaxillary has two 3 to 4 cm scars.  I perform all 4 incisions (IMF, infraareolar, axilla, belly button).   I just give you the facts, and then you decide.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA