After Having Smartlipo Procedure Done on Your Full Abdomen, What is the Average Time Before Returning to the Gym?

Exercise following Smart Lipo

+1

I usually recommend that patients who have liposuction, regardless of the type -Smart Lipo, Vaser Lipo, etc. - not exercise for 3 weeks.  For heavier exercise such as lifting weights, I would wait 4 weeks.  Best wishes.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Wait 1 week before returning to gym

+1

After having the Smartlipo procedure, typically there is no exercise for a full week. Listen to your body when getting back to the gym, don’t push yourself to hard.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Exercise after SmartLipo

+1

I usually have my patients wait 3 weeks before returning to workouts, and I ask them to start slowly and listen to their bodies.  If it hurts or swelling worsens, time to back off.

Michelle Spring, MD

Be patient and do not exercise too soon after SmartLipo!

+1

The advice I always give my patients is that after a layer of fat is removed, the skin then needs time to re-adhere to the underlying muscular bed.  If aggressive exercise is done too soon, this "re-sealing" process will be disturbed and healing will be hindered.  Two weeks is a good average time interval to wait, but always go with the direct advice of your surgeon.

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

SmartLipo and Exercise

+1

Thanks for asking.  In my practice, I have my patients wait at least two weeks prior to any exercise, and then will gradually allow them to work their way up to normal exercise routines over the next two weeks.  This protocol works safely and reliably in my practice.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Returning to Gym after SmartLipo

+1

After liposuction, one should wait about 6 weeks before returning to vigorous exercise. Light exercise such as walking is encouraged, and can be done ad soon as is comfortable. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Return to Working Out

+1

I recommend 4 to 6 weeks of recovery following liposuction of any kind prior to returning to the gym.

Wait 2-4 weeks before returning to the gym

+1

Typically, patients should wait 2-4 weeks before returning to the gym.  A light abdominal workout is recommended in order to ease back into your regular routine.

David Goldberg, MD

Quick Recovery after Liposuction / SmartLipo

+1

Recovery after liposuction is relatively quick.  Patients are walking the first day after surgery, in fact I encourage this.  As far as returning to the gym afterwards, I have most patients begin a light workout after 2 weeks and encourage them to ease back into their usual routine slowly so that they don't overdo it. It is best to avoid any significant stress or exercise on the operated areas for about 4 weeks to allow ideal healing, but aerobic exercise and weightlifting for non-operated areas can begin at the 2 week point

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Working out after Smart Lipo

+1

Everyones routine is different at the gym.  I allow most patients to get back to cardio workouts in about 10-14 days.  Most of this is limited by the areas done the discomfort of the patient.  A full cardio and weight routine can be several weeks.

Thomas P. McHugh, MD