I Had a Mastectomy and the Scar Healed Beautifully. Other Breast Had a Lift and Healed with Painful Keloids? (photo)

Five years after surgery I still have daily sharp pain and it is difficult if not impossible to wear a bra. Can anything be done to relieve the painful scars? I never would have had the surgery if I had realized I would be in pain years later.

Painful Scars after Breast Lift

+1

Steroids can be injected for symptomatic relief.  Excision and steroids may help with recurrence.  Excision and radiation probably yield the best cure rates.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Keloids After Breast lift

+1

Thank you for the question. Keloids can be a difficult problem after surgery. If you are having significant pain it is unlikely an over the counter product will work alone. You should follow up with your surgeon for an evaluation. A surgical scar revision and or kenalog injection maybe needed.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Painful Keloids

+1

There are a number of remedies, some of which are over the counter agents (Mederma), some injectibles (Kenalog) and the surgical--scar revision. 

See your surgeon and make a plan. Sometimes with the kenalog injections, the pain gets better quite promptly.

All the best.