My Right Implants Project More Than my Left? (photo)

Hello! It has been close to 4 weeks post op for me since I had my breast aug. I went with 430cc silicone under the muscle. Since day 1, I noticed my right implant has been bigger and bruised a lot more then my left. I have include 3 pics, one picture was day 2 and the other 2 is both from day 26. Should I be concerned that my breast will look like this forever? Could my right implant look bigger because that side is more swollen than my left? Will it even out once they drop? Thank you so much!

Too early

+1

Hello. Four weeks is not enough time for the implants to settle. Your implants will not settle for about another three months and I would not be too worried about your outcome until then. It is not uncommon for one breast to drop faster than the other.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

My Right Implant Projects More Than my Left?

+1

Breasts are rarely exactly symmetric, whether before, during or after breast surgery.  If you had the same size implant on each side then it's likely that your right breast was larger than your left pre-operatively, even if that wasn't apparent to you (asymmetry of the rib cage can produce the same phenomenon).  With more noticeable asymmetry, different sized implants can be used.

Your photo at 26 days, however, shows a generally well-healed result and, despite the asymmetry, I would probably advise against undergoing another surgical procedure in an attempt to correct it.  That, of course, is a decision you would need to make in consultation with your PS, who can examine you in person and advise you based on that.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry after 4 Weeks

+1

Yes it could be due to swelling.  You did not include before pictures to know if there was any difference preop.  Be patient and give them time.  There is always one side more swollen than the other.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Early post-op

+1

I believe your result is very good.  Your asymmetry is very subtle & I'm sure will be even less obvious as your implants settle in.  It takes a good couple of months for this to happen.

As an aside, most women have asymmetrical breasts to start with (even subtley!).

I'm sure you'll be very happy with your long term outcome.

Kind regards

Kim

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Although your concerns are understandable,  I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience and allow for approximate 6 months to pass before evaluating the and results of the procedure performed. Your plastic surgeon may have recommendations such as massage or displacement exercises and/or the use of a bandeau,  to help the higher breast implant “settle”.

Generally speaking (for the benefit of other ladies considering breast surgery), patients undergoing breast surgery should understand that some degree of breast asymmetry is the rule, not the exception immediately after surgery and longer-term as well. In other words,  helping patients achieve realistic expectations in regard to symmetry after breast augmentation is an important part of the preoperative “teaching”.  Patients who are seeking absolute symmetry and/or “perfection” should not undergo breast surgery.

Implant issues

+1

There is still swelling and you should give it time to settle down some more. This may take several months.

Swelling after breast implants

+1

The bigger bruised side is likely to have more swelling than the other side. I suggest you follow up with your surgeon to assure that it heals well.

Michael Horn, MD