Can a Rolling Pin Be Used to Prevent/ Break Up Scar Tissue After Liposuction?

I know the formation of knots are very common after a liposuction procedure. Can a rolling pin be used to massage those areas?

Rolling Pin After Liposuction

+2

Thank you for your question about your liposuction recovery.

• Yes, daily firm 5 minute rolling of the liposuction area will help,
  • Use a wooden French one-piece rolling pin. Others won't work.
  • Advantage - it's free!
  • You can also have lymphatic massage, Excilis radiofrequency or ultrasound treatments after liposuction- but these cost money.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes!

Can a rolling pin be used to break up tissue following liposuction?

+2

Thanks very much for your question.  Massage can be a very good idea following liposuction depending on how you heal.  If you heal in a way were the skin has a normal contour and it's soft then it's probably not necessary.  However, if you have some mild contour irregularity and there is some firmness to the skin then massage can help to correct both of those issues.  Another idea in those circumstances is to consider venous freeze.  That is a new procedure that can also help with skin tightening.  Hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Massage after liposuction

+1

There are a number of ways to get a good massage after liposuction: traditional massage, mechanical massage with synergie or endermology machines - but the old wooden rolling pin from the kitchen works fine too.  Some patients also have used a clean new paint roller, and say that it's effective as well.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Massage after liposuction

+1

I would be a little careful with a rolling pin because the rolling pin won't give you any tactile feed back like a pair of hands would.   I think a better way to go is to do some self massage in the shower after soaping up.  I think the warm water helps.  And for those hard to reach places?  That's what friends are for!

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Rolling pin for liposuction scar tissue

+1

Massage may help with scar tissue after liposuction.  A rolling pin would not be the best thing to use.

Rolling Pin after Liposuction

+1

This may work, but there are probably more effective ways to massage the tissues.  The rolling pin will likely not gather enough traction to make any real impact, as the hardness of the skin and scar after liposuction usually necessitates something else.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA