3 Different Fillers in Lips in 4 Months None Lasting?

Hi, I went to a Dr. who used Restalyne, nice results for abt 2 weeks and then BOOM! gone! Went back to the Dr. he re-injected the Restalyne again, gone in two weeks. 11 days ago, I went back to the doc he agreed my lips had no filler than used Belotero saying it would last, well, it didnt. I went back yest, he compared photos and yep, it was all gone! Yest, he did a "deep injection" of Perlane and used the whole syringe and my lips are ridiculous! Could anyone tell me why no injections are lasting?

Lip augmentation

+2

Have you tried Juvederm as a filler for lip augmentation? It is the filler I prefer for augmenting the lips, and it yields a great looking and natural result. Be sure to choose an experienced and board certified physician to perform your treatment. Performing the injections incorrectly can lead to a poor outcome. A facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist are all great choices. I hope this helps, and best of luck! 

Lip Augmentation - When fillers don't last think fat transfer (lipoinjection)

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Perlane, Belotero and others work well for lip augmentation  because they  look and feel natural. As you mention it is a temporary effect lasting between 6 and 12 months and then need to be repeated. In some cases like yours it goes away a lot sooner

This is why Fat May Be the Best Filler for Lip Augmentation. All absorbable lip fillers (e.g. Restylane and Jeuvederm) go away by design. Therefore the best filler would be use of your own fat. Although the amount that takes varies, there is always improvement in my experience, it can be repeated if necessary, and results in a soft and natural appearance.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Lip augmentation fillers

+1

Dear Katie,

• When I had this problem in the past, I switched to Juvederm and have never had an issue since
  • Just make sure that you compare before and after photos to be sure there is no improvement

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Lip Filler Failure

+1

There are a certain number of patients , usually with very thin lips, that seem not to take any of the hyaluronidase products. As a general rule these same patients are also difficult to treat with fat. In this particular circumstance the only way to improve lip size is with one of the permanent lip implants. The problem with these implants is taht even when placed properly they are palpable and sometimes cause a banding upon smiling that is visable. The good thing that happens with these implants is that they stretch the lip tissue and actually create a fibrous pocket when removed that causes an increased take of subsequent fat grafts. This staged approach may be the only way to augment very thin lips so that they feel natural.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Long lasting lip augmentation

+1

The best long term results I have experienced have been with surgical implants to the lips. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip fillers

+1

I have never experienced what you are describing. I usually inject Perlane or juvederm ultra plus in the lips with nice long lasting effects.

Longevity of Fillers Injected into the Lips

+1

Even temporary fillers such as Restylane, Belotero and Perlane, when injected properly, should last longer than a few weeks in the lips. Perhaps it is something related to the technique of your injector and you may want a second opinion.  In our practice we mostly use liquid injectable silicone in the lips which gives wonderful, permanent results. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Why fillers aren't lasting in lips

+1

All fillers are dependent upon the technique and skill of the injector. I have been injecting HA fillers for years, over a decade, and I can't tell you one patient who has had results last for a few weeks only. If your fillers are being injected too deeply, this could be an issue for sure. But to say you have nothing in there, would lead me to believe that you might opt to just try a different injector who may have an alternate technique for the lip area.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Best lip fillers

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, or Belotero are the best options for correcting an aging lip. When properly injected, results typically last at least one year for the majority of my patients. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector. You can follow the video link below to see me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane. The link to my web site shows her before treatment with 1 1/2 syringes of Restylane as well as her one and four year later photos. It was only after four years that she requested a touch up so for some the results can be very long lasting. Something is not right for you to be able to say your filler is "gone" in two weeks.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler for lips

+1

Fillers in the lips is very technique dependent and at times the lips appear to go back to what they were too fast for some people.  I would suggest that you consider who the injector is – if he or she is very skilled, then you may need to get that "overdone" look for it to last longer.  Otherwise you may be one of those who need repeat injections – several times over and over every 2-3 weeks until the desired look is achieved.  It can be done so don't give up hope if you crave fuller lips.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon