What went wrong? Worse breasts after augmentation and lift? (photo)

I have had severe asymmetry before I had my implants and superior lift. I know going through this procedure, I would never have "perfect breasts" but I would be content with at least some similarity. Now looking at this before and after pics I have to ask what went wrong?! One is still sagging, the other is pointing outward, and my areola is huge!

Treatment of Tuberous Breast with Lollipop or Vertical Lift

+2

Periareola treatment usually requires a permanent suture material, but even this can break.

You will get a better shape and lift with a vertical method at this point. The implants look fine.

Asymmetry post op

+1
Your breasts are quite asymmetric preop and are also tuberous. These are very difficult breasts to operate on. Best to wait for the swelling to go down, and let the scars mature. You may very well require a revision in the future.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

What went wrong? Worse breasts after augmentation and lift?

+1

As usual very asymmetric breasts are in need of multiple operations to achieve symmetry.. This needed to be understood prior to the initial operation..//

Asymmetry

+1

You clearly had two very different breasts with very little tissue in the left one. These can be very tough cases and sometimes secondary procedures are necessary. A lift can be performed to make the areola smaller and improve skin asymmetry.

Areolar size difference after peri-areolar breast lift is a result of a broken suture

+1

you appear to have had a bilateral peri-areolar breast lift in addition to your breast augmentation. It appears that the right breast areolar diameter has stretched - likely due to failure of the suture controlling its diameter. This will require a surgery to fix.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

+1

I completely agree with the previous post from Dr. Gottlieb. You dont say how long it has been since your surgery, but after 6 months, it should be apparent how extensive of surgery you will need to get your best results. At the least, you will need a more complete breast lift- either a lollipop or Weiss pattern lift- this will tighten the skin, as well as make the areolas smaller and symmetric. But I recommend waiting the 6 months, as at that time you will better know if anything needs to be done to the implant pocket or not. Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

+1

Thank you for the photos and clearly you have not had a happy result following your breast lift and augmentation. Obviously the smaller breast required the larger implant thereby limiting the amount of lift needed as it was less ptotic to begin with. the larger breast required a smaller implant and consequently may have needed a circumvertical lift. If a pursestring stitch was used on the right it may also have broken leading the areola to stretch on that side though looking at the photos I do not think a pursestring was used on either side. You clearly would benefit from a revision and I would suggest finding a Breastexpert for your second surgery. You are welcome to come in for a complimentary consultation at my office

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Worse breasts after augmentation and lift?

+1

Thank you for your question and the attached photos. It looks like in the before photos you have a condition known as "tuberous" or "tubular" or "constricted" breasts.

This involves a number of findings--small breasts, high breast fold, widely separated breasts, constriction of the lower pole of the breast, large and herniated areolas. Many of these are apparent on the preop photos. It is common to need more than one procedure to correct this.

It looks like you had implants and a peri-areolar lift (incision only around the areola). At this point, once all is healed and settled, you will be well served by a more extensive lift with either a vertical incision or perhaps a full anchor incision to properly contour the breast skin around the implant and breast tissue. Any attempt to revise this just through an incision around the areola again will be inadequate.

All the best.