I Went into a Tanning Booth a Week Before Laser Hair Removal on my Stomach. I Burned Badly. Will This Go Away? What Should I Do?

Please I understand I shouldn't have went but I didn't think it would be this bad. What should I be applying? What should I do? Will this go away most importantly?

Went into a Tanning Booth a Week Before Laser Hair Removal on my Stomach.

+1

See a dermatologist immediately. Most likely once this burn heals you will be left with discoloration to the skin. Try to keep the area moist for the time being.

Wound care after lasr burn

+1

I am sorry for your current discomfort and situation. Take steps to protect the skin from any trauma by wearing soft, loose fitting clothing and/or covering the area with a non-stick bandage. Keep all of those burns moist with Vaseline/petroleum jelly or aquaphor. You can order a very good wound healing cream called Cicalfate by Avene that is excellent at promoting skin healing. Unfortunately the extent of your burns looks like you are at risk for developing color change in the skin after healing. If this happens it will likely improve with time or can be treated with creams, chemical peels and possibly laser treatments.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

I Went into a Tanning Booth a Week Before Laser Hair Removal on my Stomach.

+1

You should not sun tan a few weeks before any type of laser treatments, I suggest seeing your medical provider or a dermatologist to further assist you. Apply a moisturizer daily and avoid the sun to prevent pigmentation

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Burns after laser treatment.

+1

From a dermatology standpoint, we ask each client if they have been in the sun or a tanning bed in the past 2 weeks.  I would see a dermatologist soon.  I usually prescribe a mild steroid with hydroquinone to decrease the chance of hyperpigmentation.  You might even have hypopigmentation after the area heals.   Sometimes a topical antibiotic is necessary.  Be careful of over the counter ones contain Neomycin as some people are allergic.  If you cannot see a dermatologist, keep the area moist with petroleum jelly.  Also, let the practice where you had the laser know of your reaction so they can adjust the settings if you decide to have further treatment.

Cheryl Eberting, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologist

Laser burns

+1

Most laser burns heal well but it can take a LONG time. Immediately it is important to get lots of moisturizer all the time. After the scabs fall off it is important to start using a steroid cream to reduce scarring and strict protection from sun. You should see a dermatologist and get checked every week till the initial healing is done. There is a good chance you will have hypopigmentation (lighter color of skin). That can take up to 2 to 3 years to resolve.  Regards
Dr. J
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon