I had Sculptra done and paid over 1,000 dollars. I was injected and that was the only appointment I was given. Is this it?

Sculptra follow-up

+2
I am sure your physician intended for you to come back for another injection session. if you have not done so already, why not make an appointment?

Sculptra® usually takes more than a single session.

+1
The way Sculptra® works is much different from other dermal fillers. Since the treatment is actually a catalyst for the body’s own collagen production, a few treatments spaced about a month apart are typically needed in order to see the best results. It is likely that a single session won’t be enough to see the level of improvement you’re hoping for. I recommend looking for a board certified dermatologist in your area with extensive knowledge of Sculptra® specifically—not just dermal fillers in general—and get a second opinion.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

Sculptra treatment

+1
Sculptra treatment usually involves several treatment sessions to gradually build up the area being treated.  These treatments are normally spaced at least a month apart.  It is very unlikely that just one treatment would give the optimal result.  You should contact the physician who treated you to discuss your treatment plan.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Injections

+1
Hi V.  Sculptra is a very different type of injection treatment and as such it should be reviewed differently with you than traditional dermal fillers.  The typical Sculptra patient will need three different visits at the start of the program.  We space these visits out about 6-8 weeks.  Not much is seen after the first visit, but usually between the second and third visits, the patient can start to see a difference.  Finally about 3 months after the final visit, patients will see the full affect of the product.

The reason this is the case with Sculptra is that the product is a biostimulator, causing your body to stimulate the production of it's own collagen in response to the injections.  It does not "fill" right away, rather the improvement is seen gradually over time and that's why 3 different visits are required.  The product normally lasts another 2 years after the first three visits and yearly maintenance injections are required.

It sounds like your injector did not do a very good job of explaining how the product works and the expectations for the follow on appointments.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Sculptra

+1
Thank you for your question. I would recommend you contact your plastic surgeon's office or the place where you had it injected and see if you need to follow up. For my patients I have them come 2 weeks after their injection to make sure that everything is going well. Good luck

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon