I went to a plastic surgeon and had Botox to reduce forehead and 11 lines. How much Botox is too much?

He started with 25 units of Botox and I went back in 10 days and he used another 20 units. However, when I went back to him and mentioned that I now had horrible Mephisto lines, he told me that the only way to get rid of those was to have a a brow lift --- NOT happening!!! I went to another well known surgeon who owns a spa and had had another 18 units inserted into the forehead - my devil lines are gone but I still have 11s (even though they are improved - but noticable). How much is too much???

Botox works well for some, Dysport for Others

+2

63 units is on the high normal side for a woman and on the normal side for a man in addressing the glabellar and forehead lines; it would take thousands of units to be in the toxic range. Very deep lines will be softened but not eliminated with neurotoxin treatment. In circumstances where I feel there is a suboptimal response to Botox, I encourage the patient to try Dysport (another form of Botulinum Toxin A, made by Medicis).

Web reference: http://www.drprendiville.com/facialcosmetic-nonsurgical.html#botox

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox, enough is enough

+1

Botox for the 11 lines, 25 units should be sufficient. There can be some variations between individuals including whether you have been using some before. One action does effect the other, it is a push and pull effect. So if you are weakening centrally,then the lateral aspect of your brow can be exaggerated for better or worse. That seems to be what is happening in your situation. It is a delicate balancing act. I think you have had more than enough.

Albany Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much botox is too much

+1

You had more than enough botox to treat your glabella or "11" lines and forehead lines. typically 20-25 U is enough botox for the glabella and usually 10-20 u in a women will treat the forehead effectively depending on the size of your forehead. Botox works by relaxing the muscle movement that causes the line. So effective Botox treatment is when the expression is significantly weakened. If your line is very deep in that area, it may not smooth out on the first treatment, but you don't need any more botox if you are unable to make the frowning movement. In order for the Botox to be effective, it needs to be injected into the correct muscles. While the amount of Botox you had injected seems like a lot for the average women, it is not dangerous, just expensive.

Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much Botox is too much

+1

I would say a normal dosage for a full treatment of Botox is about 50 units. Some people do require more than this. You certainly didn't have a toxic amount or anything as that would be many, many, many vials worth at once - which you didn't have. If lines are significantly etched in - as in the lines are there whether you are moving your facial muscles or not - these are called static lines. Over time and several treatments, Botox can work to soften static lines but it cannot remove them entirely. Botox really works to stop the muscles from moving that create these lines - called dynamic lines. If after a few Botox treatments you still have etched lines, you would need fillers to resolve these.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Realizing everyone reacts differently, sounds like

+1

you received more than an adequate amount of botox...sometime if the creases have been etched into your skin, they won't comletely respond to the botox...only the movement disappears but the creases from the movement over the years may need a filler...appropriately placed botox should not leave any movement leading to the Mephisto look but if it happens a small amount of additional treatment should suffice...in any event 63 is a lot for an average female but nowhere near a toxic dose...by the way did the doctor perform the procedure or an assistant?

I went to a plastic surgeon and had Botox to reduce forehead and 11 lines.

+1

Every patient is different and requires a different dosage depending on how strong the muscles movement is. If your wrinkles were very deep to start, it may require a few rounds of Botox to smooth out the lines, up to 2 yrs of regular injections.

How much Botox is too much?

+1

You received a total of 63 units of Botox in the three different treatments. This is not an excessive amount, although I would normally use about 20-25 units on the forehead and another 20-25 units for the 11's (frown lines). Sometimes people do need more so there is not an exact amount for everyone to treat a specific area.

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon