Swollen / Puffy Cheeks & Lower Face After Forehead Lift, Midfacelift and Nose Job

I Just Look Weird,my Cheeks Are Puffed Up and the Lower Portion of my Face Swollen As Well..help! i used to have an oval shape face,now after a forehead lift,midfacelift,and nose job,the almond shape of my eyes are gone,i look part masculine and part grotesque freakishness,my nose points down,still has a hump and puffy tip,i tried sculptra for the nasal labial folds and i just look worse,chipmonkish.i am fearful to do anything else,people stare in not a good way.i look so freakish i am ashamed to see my family.my cheeks are overstuffed ,upper lip to big.please help me!

"freakishness"

+4

i believe you feel this way but actually there is nothing"freakish" or  "wrong" with your appearance on these photos. admittedly they are a poor substitute for an actual exam but the looks you are getting may be a reflection of your own feelings.  I agree these procedures are notorious for prolonged swelling and there will be improvement over time. I mean it. having said that , stop doing stuff. don't inject any thing, don't cut any thing. give your face a rest and let it recover. good luck and remember everything gets better with a little time.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Multiple Procedures

+3

Based on the pictures and your story, it's obvious that you still have a certain amount of swelling.  You may not feel happy about the way you look right now, but I can assure you are a beautiful woman and that your result is certainly not a bad one. Of the procedures you had performed, some are rejuvenative and some are transformative, in other words intended to achieve a diff rent look (Rhinoplasty and mid-face lift fit into this category).  Transformative procedures lead to a certain amount of second guessing, especially if performed in the setting of multiple additional procedures.  I would advise that you give more time for the swelling to subside, keep in close contact with your Surgeon, and avoid further cosmetic procedures until you have come to terms with the changes already made.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Surgery

+2

Although you didn't provide how far out you were from all procedures, from the appearance alone it seems like you are probably about a month or two postop.  You had a considerable amount of surgery, specifically in the area of the midface, referring to rhinoplasty and a midface lift.  Traditionally, both of these procedures result in moderate swelling in the mid face region which takes a number of months to subside.  Specifically with regards to midface lift surgery, the subperiosteal approach utilized, causes patients to suffer from prolonged periods of post op swelling.  At this point I would wait to see what the final results look like in 6-8 months before undergoing any thoughts of revision.  Good Luck.... Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early Anxiety in Plastic Surgery

+2

You will be fine.  This is swelling and recovery.  Every patient experiences this.   Go talk to you surgeon.  Follow his direction exactly.  Good Luck   Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after forehead lift, midface lift, and rhinoplasty. Lots of surgery--lots of swelling should be expected!

+2

Since you don't have any more bruising (and may have not had much even initially), I must assume you are more than a few weeks after surgery. You also look quite young, and perhaps didn't really "need" all that surgery--but that is an issue between you and your chosen surgeon!

Realize that mid-face lifting usually involves subperiosteal dissection and lifting (the periosteum NEVER sags, so I have always been skeptical of this particular procedure's validity), and the resultant swelling tends to last several months, not several weeks, another reason I am not a fan of this particular type of lift. Add to that the swelling from your forehead, which tends to "go south" towards your face and neck simply from the effects of gravity, and you have a very reasonable explanation for your persistent swelling.

The good news: over time it WILL resolve, but it will take longer than you think (or want), so you have to be patient, and not go in for "other stuff" in the meantime. This means NO MORE Fillers, particularly the ones that last a long time, since your swelling will also!

Your nasal appearance will take 6-12 months to be final, but judicious steroid injection may be considered after a minimum of 2-3 months if scar tissue is the cause of any irregularity.

Be patient and give yourself the time necessary to see the full extent of your requested changes before asking for more surgery or other modification. For 7 examples of my patients undergoing multiple facial procedures and listed post-op photo dates, click the link below. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Please take a deep breath, slow down, and try not to panic!

+2

Evaelizabeth

What you had done is a vast amount of facial surgery.  You did not share with us how long out from surgery you are.  Judging from the lack of bruising and the fact that your swelling is pretty consolidated (please don't make me define what I mean from that), I am guessing your are at least 6-8 weeks out from this surgery.  I did not get the privilege of examining you before surgery and you did not include before photographs.  Ultimately what others think does not really matter, this business is all about your subjective feelings.  Having said that, for the surgery you have had, my subjective opinion is that this potentially an excellent result.  This does not mean that you are not swollen or that you you are done healing.  It does not mean that your family won't criticize you for trying to stay relevant as you age ( healthy families always like us the way we are).  I would recommend that you stopping trying to tweak the results and just let the face settle.  I am sure your surgeon has told you that you look fantastic.  I would absolutely agree with that assessment.  Now cosmetic surgery is a field where we are always asking how things can be better.  It may be in a year, you decide that you need further refinement.  Now is not the time.  Please give yourself permission to heal.  You look great.  Now you need to heal.

Facelift, midfacelift, brow lift, gone awry

+2
The first thing I notice about you, you are quite young, and where cosmetic procedures at best will reduce aging, when premature, can make you look 'different' rather than better. You have to very careful that you do not get lead into procedures such as browlift or mid facelift which can change expression or facial shape unless this is truly what you want. Seems like it is time to hold everything, rest and heal, and then take a more measured approach to small changes which you understand.
peterejohnsonmd

Swelling After Facelift

+1
It appears that you still have some swelling. This swelling will subside, generally within a year. In the meantime, please wait until then before considering other treatments. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swollen / Puffy Cheeks after Lower Face, Forehead Lift, Midfacelift and Nose Job

+1

You don't mention how many months post-op you are.  It can take up to 6 months for you to be able to fully assess the outcome of your face lift surgery.  You certainly don't look freakish.

Sam Naficy, MD

Face Lift

+1

Depending on how far you are post-surgery, this is common for the first 2 weeks after surgery.  The swelling will go down for 6 weeks, and the nose inflammation may last for 6 months.  Talk with your surgeon and verify your progress with them.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon