Weird Nasal Cartilage over Bridge of Nose

OK, imagine this: a Breathe Right Nasal Strip *under* the skin, just over the bridge of my nose. That's basically what I'm dealing with. It's like there's a little mound/band of cartilage and if I press the sides of my nose I don't immediately feel the septum; instead, I push several millimeters through empty space before I get to the septum. Then when I let go of the pressure, the sides bounce back out. Is this a medical condition? The left pic is how it normally is, the right is pushed in

Nasal Collapse

+1

With pressure, you demonstrate a collapse of the cartilage in the middle of your nose. If you've had previous nasal surgery, it is possible too much cartilage was removed. If not, there may be a separation of these cartilages from your septum. With careful examination by a rhinoplasty surgeon the cause will be determined and alternative treatments discussed.

Normal anatomy

+1

You are describing normal nasal anatomy. The walls of the mid to lower nose are made of cartilage. You are pushing in what we refer to as the "valve" are. If you collapse this region, you will have diminished airflow. Since you did not mention any breathing issues, it sounds like you have a nice open valve.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Collapse of middle third of nose

+1

It sounds and looks a bit like the middle vault collapse with inspiration.  Sometimes they are not supported well enough.  If they do not cause a breathing issue and are aesthetically normal in repose, I would do nothing.

Nasal Cartilage over Bridge of Nose

+1

Thanks for the expert photo images of your nose. But your issues are to difficult to diagnose over the internet, especially from your description. I see what you are speaking about. An in person detailed nasal examination is the correct path to follow, seek consults from boarded rhinoplasty experts in your area. 

Variation of Cartilaginous Structure of Nose

+1

Hi,

Best to be examined by a rhinoplasty specialist or ENT.  You don't indicate whether you have had any surgery in the past.  There is not a known "medical" condition for the collapsible cartilage of the middle third of your nose, but likely a rare variation of anatomy.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD