TT After Weight Loss Vs Pregnancy?

my TT was for weightloss not pregnancy. I read somewhere that WL patients tend to drain longer and also heavier patients. Can anyone shed light on this topic? Thanks~

Drainage after a tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and tummy tuck!  Tummy tuck incisions tend to be longer for people who have lost weight, and more tissue is usually removed. Therefore, it's not uncommon for these patients to have more drainage. It's best to leave the drain in until it's draining less than 25-30 cc/day for two days in a row. Of course, you want to keep all of your follow up appointments with your plastic surgeon and stay in close communication with him/her about issues like this.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best.

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck drainage after weight loss / Drenaje en una abdominoplastia despues de bajar de peso

+1

Tummy tucks where a larger amount of tissue is removed tend to drain slightly longer. This is most likely due to increased surface and volume area of damage.  More damage yields more fluid drainage.  Whether this is due to being a weight loss or pregnancy patient I haven't seen a difference.  The fatter the patient the more likley the drains will stay in more then a week.

Good luck, and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

En  una abdominoplastia donde una gran cantidad de tejidos es extirpada, el paciente tende drenar un poco mas de tiempo. Esto es debido a que el area se encuentra mas lastimada. Lo mas lastimada que este el area lo mas va drenar. Se la abdominoplastia se dio por la perdida de peso o embarazo la verdad yo no veo diferencia. Si el paciente esta sobre pasado de peso hay la posibilidad de que es drenaje dure mas de una semana.

Suerte y gracias por la pregunta

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Tummy tuck for weight loss can differ from one after pregnancy

+1

Of course, the tummy tuck pattern can be similar for those after weight loss and post pregnancy. However, often with significant weight loss there is a larger skin excess to contend with, a longer incision, and the greater the reduction, the greater the chance for a seroma and drainage. All surgeons have their preferences, though we rarely leave a drain longer than five days.