Weight Loss - Tips for Losing Holiday Weight?

I always gain around 10-20 lbs. during the holidays (Oct-Jan), and I want to shed the weight before my vacation in a couple of months. Do you have any weight loss tips that will help me lose weight (about 10-20 lbs.) without doing ANOTHER trendy diet?  I've tried Atkins, South Beach, LA Weight Loss... they never work for me, and I just want something practical!

Weight loss basics

+1

As you know, "diets" are associated with about a 98% weight gain recurrence over time. The only way to really be successful is:

1. Don't starve yourself, it only puts you into a starvation metabolism which will immediately put weight on when you finally get back to eating.
  2. Increase your protein intake and eat multiple small meals during the day.
  3. Exercise regularly, doing cardio with interval training and weight training. Increasing muscle mass is an excellent way to burn more calories and raise your resting metabolic rate.
  4. Carefully monitor your daily calorie intake and expenditure. Make sure you burn more calories than you take in and you will lose weight!

Good luck, and make a life change committment, not just another diet!

Weight loss - no magic necessary

+1

Hi,

I think the most practical and useful method I have found is to acquire a couple of inexpensive and simple items, and then use them conscientiously:

1. A food scale
  2. A food calorie handbook (available at most grocery stores)
  3. A pocket notebook in which you can record EVERYTHING that crosses your lips in a day

Once you have an idea of what you typically ingest each day, you'll be able to start trimming away calories from your daily intake.

If you want to really fine tune and accelerate this process, look into a device called a Body Bugg - it fits on your arm and assists your weight loss by measuring the calories your body burns - then you'll know what you're taking in AND what you're burning.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS