Is My Weight Loss Goal Realistic Prior to Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift?

Weight Loss - Prior to Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift I am presently at 160 lb goal weight is 135-145 roughly If I would to have procedure in FEB 2012 do you feel it is to much to lose in to short of time I was 200 lb and started weight loss in 2010 roughly Spring I did just more good days than bad and took off .25 to .50 a week sometime 0 and sometimes a 1 lb maybe 2. No real exercise just some walking here and there. I did a Very Very slow change of life in eating Thanks

Should patients lose weight prior to tummy tuck?

+1

Patients need to be close to their ideal weight before a tummy tuck and for a breast lift in order to achieve the best results. Exercise and a healthy diet are the best means by which to achieve this and maintain it after surgery.

Weight loss and surgery

+1

You have 15-25 lbs. left to lose to reach your goal. At your stated rate of loss, this should take you 7 months to a year. One to 1 ½ lbs. a week is a realistic and safe amount to lose. If you could do this, you could reduce that time by 50-66%. That would barely get you to your desired weight by February of next year, however. Even if you did get to your goal by then, you still need to wait at least 2-6 months to allow your body to stabilize so that a surgery of the magnitude you are planning will be safe and you will heal well. Do not try and change your method of weight loss. It is the only one that will achieve your goal and then allow you to maintain the loss indefinitely.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before surgery.

+1

Well done!   You are doing everything correctly to obtain the best result with your upcoming tummy tuck and breast lift.  At the rate you are going  you should reach your weight goal by the time you wish to have surgery.  

Several points to remember.  First, you may find as you get closer to your goal weight that it gets harder to lose those last  pounds.  If this happens you will need to work a little harder at exercise and pay a little more attention to your nutrition.  You may also consider seeing a plastic surgeon to encourage/help you to lose those last pounds. Finally, please be sure to continue your nutrition and exercise program after your surgery. After all,  it would be a shame to lose everything that you have worked so hard to achieve.    Good luck. 

Donald M. Brown, MD

Weight loss and surgery timing

+1

Losing weight prior to a tummy tuck is reasonable.  If you get down to your goal weight, more than likely the result will look better.

Weight loss before abdominoplasty or breast surgery

+1

crash diets are always bad and stable weight is best..  one pound per week should be reasonable with a good program that needs to be maintained to some degree after surgery.

Weight loss prior to tummy tuck and breast lift

+1

Yes, I believe that you have a realistic goal. Approximately a pound a week is a realistic goal for many weight loss programs.  Be sure that what you do eat is healthy and that you supplement with essential vitamins and minerals. Also, protein intake is important.

For tummy tuck and breast lift, the results are usually best when the extra pounds are shed first before undergoing tummy tuck and breast lift. The surgeries themselves do not cause weight loss, nor do they prevent future weight gain.

It is just as important to maintain a healthy lifestyle after the surgery to increase the chances for a longer lasting aesthetic result.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Weight loss before surgery

+1

In general, you should be stable for about 6 months. Obviously you want to be able to insure your weight loss is relatively permanent. The other issue is how you determine your deal weight. Your ideal target weight at 45 might not be the weight your were in college. The amin thing is to be at your hghest sustainable level of fitness and your healthiest and most stable lifestyle. Your weight will follow.

Robin T. W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Weight Loss Before Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your weight loss and healthier lifestyle.

Based on your description I think you will be very close ( or close enough) to your “goal weight"  by the time of the planned procedure.  Achieving your weight goals  will maximize chances of a successful and long-term surgical result.  Make sure you continue your exercise and improved eating habits after surgery as well.

Please make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Congratulations again!

Lose most of your excess weight prior to plastic surgery

+1

I encourage my patients who are in the same situation that you are to try and lose most of their weight prior to surgery.  Particularly with respect to tummy tucks, your results will usually be better and your scar should be a little lower.  You are losing the weight the right way.....slowly.  Continue what you are doing and postpone the surgery a month or two if you need to.  You should still be recovered by summer. Don't try to crash diet at the end to lose those last few pounds or this could cause a problem with healing.  If you can get into the 145-150 range you should be in good shape. Good luck!

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Weight Loss

+1

I am  a strong believer that you should be within 10 lbs of your goal weight prior to an elective surgery such as a breast lift. This weight loss should be done in a controlled fashion. I will give you ONE very powerful tip to lose that 10 lbs in six weeks.......... Stop all food with wheat.  Try it you will be amazed.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon