Weight Loss to Help Implant Drop? (photo)

I am currently 8 weeks post op and had a BA and BL to fix severe asymmetry. My right breast which was the smaller to begin with looks like it is dropping normally but the other side is still VERY high. My PS has said to continue aggressive massage and I've been doing that along with taking vitamin e and wearing the strap at night. My boyfriend thinks he sees a difference but I can't be sure. I was hoping to lose 15lbs and thought this might help with the dropping? Can weight loss help the process?

Weight loss after breast augmentation will not affect implant position.

+1

Eight weeks after breast augmentation the position of the implants may still be influenced by postoperative swelling. Weight loss never has in effect on the position of the breast implant.

Weight loss for implant

+1

Weight loss will not change implant position.  Only massage and surgery will do that.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon. 

Donald Nunn, MD

Weight Loss to Help Implant Drop?

+1

I cannot imagine a scenario that would suggest weight loss has anything to do with implants dropping. They settle into position as the pectoral muscles relax to accommodate the implants. 

Continue with massage and pectoral band. It remains likely that the left implant will continue to settle that your symmetry will improve. Thank you for your question, all the best. 

Concerns about Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation/Mastopexy?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

At this point, I think that you are doing what should be done to help the breast implants “settle”. You may find that it will take several additional months before the breast implants reached their final positions. This will be a slow process and you may not notice changes on a daily/weekly basis.

Weight loss will not necessarily change the final breast implant position;  unfortunately, some patients will find that their breast tissue will be more ptopic ("saggy") after weight loss.

I would suggest continued patience and continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Implants Riding High, Asymmetry Should Improve

+1
Thank you for your question and photos.  Correction of significant asymmetry such as yours with augmentation and lifting is a challenging procedure for surgeon and patient alike.  The final result takes time for the implant to settle and the skin to accomodate.  It is far to early to evaluate the results.  Other than wearing the strap recommended by your surgeon, no additional intervention is recommended at this time. Things should get significantly better over the next couple of months. Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon further.   

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Implant position

+1

Weight loss will not affect how the muscles relax and how the implant drops in the pocket. It is too early to determine your final result.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Wt loss and implant drop

+1

Hi, I do not think that weight loss will help the implants drop.  It pundits actually make the assymetry worse.   

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Weight loss after BA

+1

I do not think that weight loss will help your implant to drop. I have seen it take even 3 months for an implant to drop so keep up with your surgeon's instructions.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Weight loss will not make your implant drop

+1
The position of the implant is dependent on the dissection of the pocket and the muscle under which it was placed. Assuming that the pocket was dissected appropriately, then the muscle should soften which will result in implant drop. This does take time and patience on your part. Especially in cases of marked asymmetry, it is common for secondary surgery to be required and, as you probably know, complete symmetry is a hope as opposed to a reality.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Asymmetry following breast augmentation / lift surgery

+1

Weight loss will have little to no effect on your breast shape problem.  You started with a good deal of asymmetry and the biggest challenge is to make your breasts more even.  Absolute symmetry is not possible.   You are only 8 weeks post op so there is still time for the breasts to change and for the implants to drop into a better position.  I would give this a few more months, following your plastic surgeon's advice.  If the implants are still high then you may need a revision surgery to gain additional symmetry.