Weight Loss Help for 16 Year Old Male

I'm 16, 178 cm tall and weight ~67 kg, giving me a body mass index of 21.25

The problem is that I race Go-Karts professionally, and am currently 14 kg over the minimum weight limit, which all of my 17 other competitors have managed to meet. I exercise for ~3 hours per week, eat a balanced diet and race my Kart, in addition to the exercise. My problem is that I have quite a lot of muscle for my age, but I do have the odd amount of excess skin, I like to call it, around my pectoral and thigh area.

I also smoke, but I've heard that quitting gives you an increased chance of putting on weight. What can I do to achieve my ideal weight? I have attached a photograph of myself below.

Everyone cannot achieve the same "ideal weight"

+2

Fernando, By the look of your picture, you really do not need to lose any weight. Most patients coming in for consultations to my office would love to look like you. Not all bodies are the same, and I would caution you not to try and push your body to an unhealthy extreme.

The best answer is to eat reasonable meals and exercise regularly (by the way, most athletes I know exercise more than 3 hours per week). From the picture, I do not see any excess skin what would add considerably to your weight. Also, for your long term health, please stop smoking.

You clearly don't have any weight to lose

+1

Just looking at your photos, you clearly don't have any excess fat or skin on your body.  You may just not have the right body type ultimately for your sport as you have grown up.  Be grateful you look so good - most young men would trade with you in an instant! 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS