Should I Try to Lose Weight Before Liposuction?

I have scheduled my liposuction in about a month. I weigh approximately 142 lbs now, and am 5'4''. Should I maintain my current weight or try to lose a few pounds between now and then? I have been trying to lose weight and I'm not sure how much weight is even possible for me to lose in a month. Thanks!

Liposuction should be done when you reach a stable weight

+2

If you plan to lose a significant amount of weight (30lbs or more) then it is a good idea to do this prior to surgery. If it is more like 5-10lbs, it will not make much of a difference to do this prior to or after liposuction.

Losing weight before liposuction

+2

You should preferably be at a stable or plateau weight. It is always disconcerting when patients gain weight after successful liposuction. In my LA practice, I combine liposuction with a suitable weight loss program.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Be at a stable and ideal weight before surgery

+1
It's always better to be at a stable and ideal weight before surgery. This improves surgical outcome and makes the experience safer in general. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

No need to lose weight first

+1
There is not much to be gained by losing weight prior to liposuction.  All opt the areas that you are concerned with will be contoured surgically.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Body Weight & Surgery

+1

Whenever possible, patients should be near their ideal body weight before they undergo liposuction.  For some patients this just isn’t possible and under these circumstances a stable body weight is acceptable.  When patients are actively losing weight, it’s appropriate to delay surgery until a stable weight has been obtained.

It’s important to realize that weight fluctuations after surgery can adversely impact the results of liposuction.  For this reason, every effort should be made to reach a stable weight that can be easily maintained before and after surgery.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Losing Weight

+1

You should be at a weight you can comfortably maintain prior to liposuction. If you want to lose a few pounds prior to your procedure, that is fine, but not necessary if you are close to your goal weight.

If you have large fluctuations in your weight, you might want to reconsider having liposuction. Liposuction is more for fine tuning and body shaping, than a solution for major weight problems.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

+1

It is not crucial to loose weight before liposuction. Overall, with weight loss you will look better and the amount of fat to be suctioned may be less.

Since you only have one month to go, I do not recommend a crash diet/exercise program. This may cause an imbalance in your system which is not healthy.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Weight loss prior to liposuction

+1

It is helpful to maintain diet and exercise prior to liposuction. Remember liposuction is not a substitute to losing weight, it is meant to get rid of stubborn area's which have fat deposits.

Jaime Perez, MD

Losing Weight Before Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is not to be used as a means of weight loss, rather it is a procedure used to remove stubborn fat from problem areas. It is recommended that you reach your goal weight prior to having liposuction, but at the same time it is important to maintain a stable weight because although liposuction permanently removes fat cell, it is possible for patients to gain weight after liposuction if they do not maintain a healthy diet and exercise regimen.

Tarick K. Smaili, MD

Weight loss prior to liposuction

+1

You should be at a stable weight before surgery which you will be able to maintain afterward.

Malcolm A. Lesavoy, MD
Encino Plastic Surgeon