Should I Try to Lose Weight Before Liposuction?

I have scheduled my liposuction in about a month. I weigh approximately 142 lbs now, and am 5'4''. Should I maintain my current weight or try to lose a few pounds between now and then? I have been trying to lose weight and I'm not sure how much weight is even possible for me to lose in a month. Thanks!

Liposuction should be done when you reach a stable weight

+2

If you plan to lose a significant amount of weight (30lbs or more) then it is a good idea to do this prior to surgery. If it is more like 5-10lbs, it will not make much of a difference to do this prior to or after liposuction.

Losing weight before liposuction

+2

You should preferably be at a stable or plateau weight. It is always disconcerting when patients gain weight after successful liposuction. In my LA practice, I combine liposuction with a suitable weight loss program.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Liposuction and Losing Weight

+1

You should be at a weight you can comfortably maintain prior to liposuction. If you want to lose a few pounds prior to your procedure, that is fine, but not necessary if you are close to your goal weight.

If you have large fluctuations in your weight, you might want to reconsider having liposuction. Liposuction is more for fine tuning and body shaping, than a solution for major weight problems.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

+1

It is not crucial to loose weight before liposuction. Overall, with weight loss you will look better and the amount of fat to be suctioned may be less.

Since you only have one month to go, I do not recommend a crash diet/exercise program. This may cause an imbalance in your system which is not healthy.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Weight loss prior to liposuction

+1

It is helpful to maintain diet and exercise prior to liposuction. Remember liposuction is not a substitute to losing weight, it is meant to get rid of stubborn area's which have fat deposits.

Jaime Perez, MD

Losing Weight Before Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is not to be used as a means of weight loss, rather it is a procedure used to remove stubborn fat from problem areas. It is recommended that you reach your goal weight prior to having liposuction, but at the same time it is important to maintain a stable weight because although liposuction permanently removes fat cell, it is possible for patients to gain weight after liposuction if they do not maintain a healthy diet and exercise regimen.

Tarick K. Smaili, MD

Weight loss prior to liposuction

+1

You should be at a stable weight before surgery which you will be able to maintain afterward.

Malcolm A. Lesavoy, MD
Encino Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results are best when at your ideal weight

+1

I recommend reaching your ideal goal weight prior to surgery or atleast lose as much weight possible before the procedure to ensure the best possible results. Liposuction is best for those isolated areas that are resistant to exercise and dieting. If you plan on losing a significant amount , I would hold off to make sure you are still a good candidate for the procedure. You do not want to be left with lose, excess skin after the procedure is done. It is in your best interest to have surgery once you are content with your weight loss. For more information regarding liposuction precedures, check out and compare before and after photos of patients. Good luck!

Liposuction should be done when you are at your stable weight.

+1

Liposuction is a safe, popular, and effective way to contour the body. Although liposuction is an excellent way to remove stubborn fat, it is not effective as a means of weight control. For best results, you should receive your surgery when you have lost all the weight possible and you are at your stable weight. This will allow your surgeon to determine which areas should be treated and help you obtain a long-lasting and beautiful result.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Liposuction and weight loss

+1

It is always a good idea to get down to your ideal weight before liposuction. The results are usually better at this point becuase the fat is often isolated to small areas.