Will Weight Loss Post-op Tummy Tuck Mean a Further Surgery is Needed?

I am currently scheduled for an abdominoplasty, breast reconstruction w/ augmentation, and lateral thigh liposuction in a couple weeks. I am 28 yo, 5'8, G0P0, & weigh 178# (-50lbs since '07). My ideal wt is b/w 145-153#. I understand that being close to an ideal wt is best, but my schedule as a student won't allow a later date. Have you had pts in my age group that have slowly lost 25-30# post-op successfully w/ no need for follow up retouching? Thx

Weight loss after tummy tuck

+2

It is entirely possible, although not guaranteed, that no further touch up will be required if you loose weight after you have your abdominoplasty.

Wishing you all the best.

Weight Loss Post-op Tummy Tuck

+1

If you lose an additional 25-30 pounds, then you will increase the probability that revision surgery will be necessary. However, you are young and your skin is probably elastic so the probability of revision sugery after a slow loss of weight is less than with an older patient with inelastic skin.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck and Weight Loss

+1

The major advantage you have as a tummy tuck patient is your age.  Because you are still in your 20s and have adopted permanent lifestyle changes that have enabled you to slowly lose weight and keep it off, you are less likely to require revisionary plastic surgery.  Because you are young, your skin is more likely to be more elastic; therefore, it can contract better after surgery or weight loss. The combination of procedures you are describing is extensive and will likely require a good bit of recovery time; therefore, it’s important to understand that your exercise and diet routine may be inhibited while healing and could affect the amount and rate at which you continue to lose weight. 

David Whiteman, MD

Patients should be at their ideal weight for 6 months prior to plastic surgery.

+1

I require patients to be at their ideal weight for at least 6 months before surgery.  This ensures you the best possible result.  If timing is a factor and you can't wait to lose additional weight, be prepared for a revision or a touch up when you do lose the weight which will cost you additional money.  Make sure you are making the right choice and the one that is more beneficial to yourself in the future.

Weight loss after Tummy Tuck

+1

As a surgeon, my goal is to give the patient the best result I can with the best longevity.   I always recommend that patients maintain a goal weight for 6 months prior to elective cosmetic surgery.    The bottomline is that your best result will be when surgery is performed at the weight you will maintain longterm.   

Therefore, if you have been at your current weight for 5 years and desire to lose 25 more pounds, I recommend that you consider if you will realistically keep that weight off longterm.    

On the otherhand, if you lost 50 lbs and are still actively losing weight, I recommend you wait on surgery until your goal weight is obtained.  You will be much happier with your results longterm.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Weight loss and surgery

+1

It is difficult to predict what will happen to your body after further weight loss.  It may cause further laxity.

Significant Weight Loss After Breast Lifts and Tummy Tuck Will Affect The Results

+1

While there is nothing wrong with doing body contouring surgery before you are at your ideal weight, it is important to realize that some changes in the result will occur. Between skin relaxation and significant weight loss (as defined by greater than 10 or 15 lbs), the once taut lower abdomen and the perkiness of the breasts may develop some mild increased looseness. This could be particularly true if you are going to lose closer to 25 to 30 lbs. Whether the changes would be enough to warrant some type of revisional surgery is unknown but that is a real consideration.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Will additional weight loss affect your results.

+1

Ideally, most plastic surgeons will recommend cosmetic procedures once you have lost all your weight.  Additional weight loss may losen your skin and may also affect your breasts.  It is difficult for anyone to peer into that crystal ball to predict if, when, and how you will lose your additional 25-30 lbs.  If you do chose to opt to proceed now, keep in mind that you may need revisional surgery should you lose an additional 30 lbs.  Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS