No Weight Loss After Liposculpture

i am 2wks post lipo I had about 3.5 quarts of fat removed from my waist,love handles,lower/upper abdomen. I had 5 liters of liquid injected into me that day. I weigh a lil over my weight before the procedure. I am still swollen and lumpy specially int he abdomen area. I am very concerned about those bulges not shrinking down. i don't look much different than prior to the surgery. i have the same width and my love handles still look a lil aquared like before. help what should i expect at 2wks

Liposuction is not a weightloss specific treatment

+3

A small degree of weight loss can occur after moderately extensive liposculpture/liposuction.  3.5 quarts of fat is reasonable amount of fat removed.  However, weight loss itself is not the primary goal of liposuction.  The primary goal is to expertly sculpt problem areas and overall improve their appearance.  It is much more important to focus on improving appearance and not to focus on weight loss.  Liposuction is not a weight loss specific treatment.  When dealing with weight loss the best answers of course are specifically related to lifestyle change, diet, exercise, decreasing stress and improvement of sleep patterns.

Lumps and bumps and fullness and even swelling are expected at one week, two weeks and even longer.  What is really key is to be patient and understand that the end result isn’t until weeks and even months down the road.  What you see is what you get more often in the three month to six month range rather than in the two to three week range.  Patience is key and looking in the mirror constantly after seven to 14 days can be a bit frustrating. 

Be Patient with Liposuction Results

+3

I can tell you with confidence that if 3.5 liters were removed than you WILL see a result. I would consider you in the very early phase of recovery. Almost all patients that undergo some type of surgical procedure will gain water weight for the IV fluids and from something called third spacing. This phenomenon occurs as a result of the internal trauma caused by the procedure. If you add Laser type energy I believe that additional time is required in the recovery. I tell all my patients that the real results  BEGIN around 4 weeks and will continue for 3-4 months. Also inquire as to if your surgeons office offers lymphatic massage. This technique will help with post operative discomfort and swelling.

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Your shape will improve as swelling resolves

+2

You should see improvement in your shape, but you still have a lot of swelling.  This can also contribute to seeing higher numbers on the scale.  Keep wearing your garment if instructed to do so.  Typically I recommend that patients massage areas that are lumpy as this helps them resolve more quickly.  Remember lipo is a contouring procedure, not a weight loss procedure.  When your swelling resolves, your should see improvement in your shape. 

Wilmington Facial Plastic Surgeon

You will improve over time.

+2

You should be patient and follow your doctor's instructions.  Follow a good diet and try not to gain weight as you recover.  If a few liters of fat were removed during the procedure, you will notice a big difference. 

Web reference: http://gatewaylasercenter.com/TumescentLiposuctionBodyJet.html

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

No weight loss 2 weeks after liposculpture

+2

It is very common for the body to hang on to water after any traumatic event.  This will increase your weight.  You are only two weeks out.  You may very well have bruising and non smooth contours at this stage.  In our practice we have patients wear compression garments for weeks afterward to decrease swelling and try and help the contour.  Remember also that fat does not weigh that much, (muscle and bone weight more).  Your final result will most likely look like more pounds then are actually taken off.  Keep in contact with your plastic surgeon and express your concerns. 

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/liposuction

Be patient, you are still healing

+2

You need to be patient, you are still healing and very swollen.  Continue to follow up with your physician.

Web reference: http://www.gbkderm.com

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Post-Liposuction weight loss question

+2

The “5 liters” of liquid injected into you prior to your liposculpture, I am assuming was the tumescent solution and a goodly portion of this “leaks” out over a short period of time after your procedure, and a great deal of it within the first 24 hours.  However, one must really give sufficient time to see adequate results from any surgery, and you state that it’s only been a couple of weeks and your still “swollen and lumpy”.  I suspect that your “bulges” will shrink noticeably and shortly, and that you should really consult with your plastic surgeon, who will give you a timeline  for the swelling etc.   

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Results are Not Final for Months

+2

After liposuction, there is a great deal of swelling of the tissues that lasts for weeks. There is often bruising and some discomfort as well. After about 6 weeks, most of the swelling from the procedure will subside. However, the final result is often not seen for 2-6 months. The best advice 2 weeks after removal of 3.5 L of fat tissue and fluid is to continue to wear the compression garments and communicate your concerns about any uneven areas to your surgeon. Liposuction is never intended as a weight loss program by itself, and only removes bulges in areas of excess. Ultrasound or other treatments of areas of bulging can be helpful to smooth out the results.

Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+2

You need to be patient since swelling can take at least 6 weeks to subside.  Most of the times, it takes much linger before the final results are fully appreciated.  Endermologie can be of value to mobilize the fluid and to help with the bumps.  Good luck.

Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure it is a body contouring procedure. Sounds like you are still very swollen which is very normal. May take up to 3 months to see your max results.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.