Will I Lose Fat in Other Areas After Lipo on Hips?

I retain most of my body fat in my upper body. I am 38, have had three pregnancies and two C-Sections. I am left with a bulging belly, hip rolls and a lot of fat in my bra line area on the back. I am about to undergo a standard tummy tuck with liposuction of the hip rolls. Since I will be losing most of my upper body fat due to the surgery, afterwards, I will continue to exercise regularly between 6-8 hours a week of aerobic and weight training. When I lose more fat, will it most likely reduce the upper body fat that I hold under my arms in the bra line area, since that is essentially the only other place on my body that I hold extra fat? I am 5'9 and weigh 132lbs.

Fat distribution and genetics

+5

Your body's fat distribution is in large part determined by your genetic makeup. As you gain and lose weight, areas where you are predisposed gather fat cells will become larger and smaller proportionately to the generalized distribution of fat.

When one has liposuction some other type of procedure that removes fat cells, we are changing the bodies natural distribution of fat. If you continue to lose weight following a tummy tuck or liposuction procedure, you will see a greater proportionate decrease in the remaining areas.

Conversely, if you put on weight following a tummy to or liposuction procedure, you will see a greater proportionate increase in these areas. Simply put, you can't put fat back into an area where fat cells have been removed but the remaining fat cells will still be subject changes related to your weight.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and other areas

+1

I would not expect areas that were not treated to slim down after your liposuction.  As long as you do not gain a lot of weight they will not change either.

Don't expect untreated areas to improve after liposuction

+1

If you have a localized fat deposit in your bra line, you should consider having this area treated with liposuction also.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Weight loss, surgery, and liposuction

+1

If these areas of the upper flank or back rolls are of significant concern, you should give some consideration (and discuss this with your surgeon) to having liposuction of these areas at the same time as your surgery. If you choose not to, continued exercise with subsequent weight and fat loss should improve these areas as well as the abdomen and waistline.

Sean A. Simon, MD