How Much Weight Should I Lose to Have Skin Removal Surgery?

I'm 5'3, 29years old and weigh 217 lbs. I have had 3 kids and now ready to be healthy for them after weighing between 230 and 215 pounds for 8 years. How much weight should I lose before considering a tummy tuck?

Best Tummy Tuck Results At Or Near Ideal Body Weight

+2

You are likely to obtain a better result with a tummy tuck if could lose 60-70 pounds before your procedure.  I realize that it is much easier for me to state this than for you to achieve it.  You will also decrease the liklihood of problems  if you are nearer your ideal weight at the time of your tummy tuck.

Achieve a stable, healthy weight before tummy tuck and body contouring

+2

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your commitment to losing weight and being healthy for your children.  I recommend through healthy diet and exercise you get to your goal weight and have a stable weight for six months.  Then, you will be able to tell how much skin excision is necessary and what procedures you desire.  This will also help you get predictable results. I hope this helps. Good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Abdomen

+1

There is no exact amount that you should lose before having a tummy tuck. Different Plastic Surgeons will give you different  answers.  some may not require you to lose weight at all.  Probably the more important issue is this.  After you do have the tummy tuck, be careful not to regain the weight after surgery.  It is quite easy to do, and is one of the greatest reasons for disappointment after a tummy tuck or any body contouring procedure.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Weight loss before loose skin surgery

+1

Ideally, you should be within 10% of your healthy/goal weight and have maintained it for at least 6 months.  

Daniel Yamini, MD

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1
It is an excellent idea to reach and maintain a weight at which you are comfortable prior to undergoing body contouring surgery. That number is strictly up to you and your own perception of body image.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

How Much Loss before Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your decision  to change your lifestyle and achieve a “healthy” weight. I would suggest that you achieve a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. There is no “magic number” that can be recommended;  the key is to get as close as possible to  goal weight that you feel you will be comfortable at for the long-term.

Achieving this  weight prior to tummy tuck surgery will:

1. Increase the safety of the procedure.

2.  Minimize the chances that additional surgery will become necessary ( in the event that you lose additional weight after the tummy tuck surgery is performed).