How Much Weight Should I Lose to Have Skin Removal Surgery?

I'm 5'3, 29years old and weigh 217 lbs. I have had 3 kids and now ready to be healthy for them after weighing between 230 and 215 pounds for 8 years. How much weight should I lose before considering a tummy tuck?

Best Tummy Tuck Results At Or Near Ideal Body Weight

+2

You are likely to obtain a better result with a tummy tuck if could lose 60-70 pounds before your procedure.  I realize that it is much easier for me to state this than for you to achieve it.  You will also decrease the liklihood of problems  if you are nearer your ideal weight at the time of your tummy tuck.

Achieve a stable, healthy weight before tummy tuck and body contouring

+2

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your commitment to losing weight and being healthy for your children.  I recommend through healthy diet and exercise you get to your goal weight and have a stable weight for six months.  Then, you will be able to tell how much skin excision is necessary and what procedures you desire.  This will also help you get predictable results. I hope this helps. Good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Abdomen

+1

There is no exact amount that you should lose before having a tummy tuck. Different Plastic Surgeons will give you different  answers.  some may not require you to lose weight at all.  Probably the more important issue is this.  After you do have the tummy tuck, be careful not to regain the weight after surgery.  It is quite easy to do, and is one of the greatest reasons for disappointment after a tummy tuck or any body contouring procedure.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Weight loss before loose skin surgery

+1

Ideally, you should be within 10% of your healthy/goal weight and have maintained it for at least 6 months.  

Daniel Yamini, MD

Always be at your healthiest weight, but fads don't work.

+1

It sounds like you're making a very good life decision to get back to a healthier weight.

Before you embark upon surgery and it's always best to achieve a comfortable weight that you feel you can maintain in your future without starving yourself.

I know many patients who try crash diets, drugs or other fads to lose weight.  These are generally prone to failure.  The only way to loose weight and keep it off is through diet, exercise, and even sometimes behavior modification.  You may wish to consult with your internist or nutritionist to help put you on the right track.

Body mass index charts can tell you where you should be, but getting there is the hard part.

A few things to remember as you bark upon your weight loss program:

True healthy weight loss takes time.  Don't rush it.

Rail thin is not always healthy either, seeking a comfortable and healthy weight.

Be sure that you can maintain your weight loss for a number of months prior to surgery to prove that your weight is stable. 

Don't embark upon surgery without being stable and without having adequate nutrition or you wont heal well.

Even though you're not at your goal weight yet consult with a plastic surgeon so that you can be followed during the process.  It will help to define your goals as you consider your future surgical options.

Best of luck with your continued success in weight loss.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1
It is an excellent idea to reach and maintain a weight at which you are comfortable prior to undergoing body contouring surgery. That number is strictly up to you and your own perception of body image.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

How Much Loss before Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your decision  to change your lifestyle and achieve a “healthy” weight. I would suggest that you achieve a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. There is no “magic number” that can be recommended;  the key is to get as close as possible to  goal weight that you feel you will be comfortable at for the long-term.

Achieving this  weight prior to tummy tuck surgery will:

1. Increase the safety of the procedure.

2.  Minimize the chances that additional surgery will become necessary ( in the event that you lose additional weight after the tummy tuck surgery is performed).