How Much Weight Will I Lose After a Gastric Bypass?

I have quite a lot of weight to lose, probably around 300lbs. How much am I likely to lose after having a gastric bypass?

Weight loss amount with gastric bypass

+1

Most patients after gastric bypass surgery will lose 70  - 80% of their excess weight in in the first 12 months. Unfortunately some patients will regain 10 - 20% of the excess weight over the following 3 - 5 years resulting in long term 60% excess weight loss. Close follow-up and having a surgeon with a comprehensive multidisciplinary team can give you better results.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Expected weight loss after gastric bypass surgery

+1

The average excess weight loss for gastric bypass surgery at one year is approximately 75 to 85%. So if your excess weight is 300 pounds you will probably lose 225-255lbs in the first year. However, if you exercise and eat properly more weight loss can be achieved. At five years, the average excess weight loss is approximately 65%.

David Buchin, MD
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon