Weight Gain After Tummy Tuck or Lipo?

I had a Tummy Tuck 6 yrs. ago and now have gained 16-20 lbs all subcutaneously. Can that be removed with another tummy tuck? or Lipo? I am working out a lot, but I am also aging.

Plastic surgery is not the solution for gaining weight.

+2

Hi!

In our plastic surgery practice in Manhattan, we do plenty of tummy tucks and liposuction on patients who are overweight. So surgery now may well make you look better. But, for your long term welfare, you need to deal with the pattern.

For localized problems, plastic surgery is great. If you are just 15 pounds too fat (and gaining), then behavior modification is the way to go.

I don't mean to preach to you. Keeping weight off is one of the hardest things I know.

Redo tummy tuck after weight gain

+2

You've had a 3.5 lb. weight gain or "creep" per year. If you care about the way you look now is the time to draw a line in the sand and stop it. Exercise is great, but it must be combined with nutritional oversight so you can lose 1 to 2 lbs . a week until you get your BMI down to approx. 25. 

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

You need to deal with the weight gain

+1

You do not need surgery for the weight gain -- you need to go on a diet and start exercising. Tummy tucks are for excess skin and to tighten the abdominal muscles. When you gain weight the solution is easy and hard -- go on a diet.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Yes

+1

Re-do tummy tucks are infrequent, not easy, and may not always yield the best results.

That said however, if there is excess skin, and the strength layer has gotten lax, this is a good choice for restoring a nice result.

If however, you just have a thick fat pad, liposuction is excellent, and very effective. Your doctor can evaluate this and give you an answer very quickly.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

No pat answer

+1

Secondary abdominoplasties can be performed but you need to try to know as much about the previous surgery as possible, especially as to what was done to the belly button. Liposuction and varioous types of abdominoplasty may be contemplated in your case but your surgical plan needs to be tailored or customized to your individual anatomical situation. More important is to determine why you gained the weight and if you are at an optimal healthy and stable lifestyle as far as diet, exercise, activity level, habits, and state of mind are concerned.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD