How Much Weight Gain After Liposuction is OK?

I am 5'7" and used to be 136lbs.I had been maintaining 108lbs for 2 years before opting for liposuction on my outer thighs,knees and flanks for localized fat pocket correction.I also had breast augmentation,so the lack of exercise during the recovery resulted in me gaining about 10 lbs over the course of 3 months.I am getting it under control now, but has the weight gain affected the lipo results? Studies show new fat cells are created after lipo, but at what point of weight gain and where?

Weight gain after lipo

+2

Is a problem with about 20% of my patients.  I have seen figures that indicate 50% of patients go on to gain weight after surgery.  I know how much I have taken out, and how much that translates to in expected weight loss from liposuction alone at 6 weeks ( remarkably little usually since fat takes up a lot of space or volume, but does not actually weigh that much when compared with a similar volume of muscle).  I weigh and measure my patients each week for those six weeks so that they can receive the optimal results.  There is only a problem with people who have long standing weight problems.  I can usually tell even in an overweight or obese person if they have had liposuction previously because the contour especially around their abdomen or outer thighs is different from natural fat distribution, and each subsequent liposuction is less satisfactory in these people because they have more fat cells all over rather than in the defined areas which liposuction is best suited for.  You are right about the latest research which appears to indicate that the body has a 'set point' of number of fat cells which it tries to maintain, but again the new fat cells are not always in areas that are amenable to liposuction.  So keep doing what you are doing in maintaining your baseline weight through proper eating and exercise to get the maximum 'bang' out of your liposuction surgery.

Weigth gain after lipo

+2

I don't think your gaining 10 pounds after your lipo will have a significant effect on your results from lipo.i would go back to your regular exercise routine and diet.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Weight Gain

+2

Based on your description, I do not think there has been any harm done to your results after the modest weight gain. Most importantly, you are aware of the importance of maintaining a stable weight and have it “under control now”.

Enjoy the results of your surgery and your healthy lifestyle. Best wishes.

How Much Weight Gain After Liposuction is OK?Answer:

+2

10 lb. should not affect most patients much at all, however at 5’7” and 108 lb. that is very lean and my guess is that you didn’t have much to lipo, so in your particular case, it may make a difference! And it also seems a bit unusual to not exercise for 3 months after breast aug. And we’re not sure about the new studies. It showed weight gain and may not show new fat cell growth at all. In fact, we’re not too sure what the new studies are saying!! Need more research.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after liposuction

+1

The most important thing is if you are happy with your results even at 10 lbs heavier. As you drift higher from your weight at the time of liposuction, the extent of the sculptured results will be diminished. Ideally, you want to keep a fairly stable weight in order to preserve your initial results.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Weight gain after lipo

+1

I tell all my patients - Lipo is not an excuse to eat!  Although there is some weight gain after lipo from fluid retention but this resolves within a few weeks.  I encourage my patients to go to the gym after 4-5 days, even if only to do a light workout.  The endorphins (body's natural pain killer) are released by exercise and make you feel better.  Go back to your pre-lipo routine and I am sure the excess weight will come off very quickly.  Hope you are happy with your liposuction.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon