Is Weight a Factor in Tummy Tuck Cost?

Does current body weight reflect on pricing of a Tummy Tuck?

The cost of the procedure may vary depending on how long it takes

The cost may not necessarily be more because of increased weight, but because of the time involved to complete the procedure.

The time to complete the abdominoplasty may take longer in heavier patients.

There are in general 4 components to the cost of a surgical procedure: Operating Room, Anesthesia, supplies(garments, implants etc), and the professional fee by the surgeon. Many operating rooms and anesthesiologists charge based on time.

Weight Not A Factor in Tummy Tuck Cost

Weight is generally not a factor in the cost of a tummy tuck, however excess fat and skin may involve a more extensive tummy tuck. This would mean you may have to opt for a full tummy tuck to achieve desirable results, which is generally more expensive than a mini.

Loose Skin more a factor than weight

While a patient should be within 20 pounds of their target weight, the amount of loose skin and the position of the loose skin are more cost determinants than weight.

The cost for tummy tuck like other cosmetic surgery varies considerably across the country and even in the same area. South Florida tends to have lower fees then more expensive areas such as New York or Los Angeles. We charge starting at $4000 + MD Anesthesia related expenses for a modified tummy tuck. With a complete tummy tuck being more. Since you can get quality work at lower costs, patients will travel from throughout the state, the country, and internationally to have surgery in South Florida.

To ensure that you are receiving quality work with personalized care at the most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. The quality must be maintained at the highest level to maintain accreditation. The surgeons also have incentive to hire and train quality staff (to ensure that surgery is efficient and enjoyable), to ensure comfortable and private facilities (to encourage referral), and to eliminate waste (to ensure that these facilities can compete effectively).

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cost of tummy tuck for "heavier" patient

I agree with my colleagues that price can be based on time in the operating room. For a patient who is "heavier", the time in the operating room to perform the tummy tuck procedure will most likely be more than a 'thinner" patient having the same procedure performed.  Usually the anesthesiologist and the operating room charge by how much time the procedure takes.

There are many factors associated with pricing, for example, the certification of the surgeon, the experience of the surgeon, what type of anesthesia is used and who is administering it (nurse or MD), where the surgery is performed (in an office setting or surgery center), what part of the country you are, etc..

Do your research and choose a surgeon who you are comfortable with.

Best Wishes!

Is weight a factor in Tummy Tuck cost?

You have great responses fro other doctors! The cost to do a tummy tuck on a 4'11" person is less than the same procedure on a 5'11" person, all variables the same. These "other" variables can be significant as it relates to the final cost.

Something to consider, body weight and height are not the only factors regarding time, expense and final outcome. In my experience, the percent body fat factors more into the OR time vs BMI. As most surgery costs are all inclusive, a patient that "needs" more time after surgery based on the consultation maybe charged more.

Michael Kulick, MD

Weight and Tummy Tuck cost

I agree with my colleagues. I do not know of surgeons who charge by the size. But since the total cost depends on actual time spent in the operating room, a thinner patient will usually have a faster and cheaper procedure than a much heavier patient .

I hope this was helpful.

Is cost of tummy tuck dependent upon body weight?

The cost of your tummy tuck frequently will be dependent upon the time it takes to perform the procedure. Therefore, in general, a tummy tuck in a 5'7" individual weighing 115 lbs will proceed more quickly (require a smaller incision and less liposuction) then a 5'2" female weighing 250 lbs. The cost for the latter will necessarily be more.