Weight Before Full TT?

I am going to have a full tt soon I weight 120 pounds and I'm "5'4. I'm currently working out 6 days a week and on 1200-1400 calorie intake. I'm tring to get down to around 110 before surgery As well as tone up and strengthen my abs. My question is how will this affect my tummy tuck. Will I tighten my skin so much that a tt will no longer be an option? Is it good to workout till the day of surgery? Does this help with recovery? In doing this will my ps say he can do a mini because I'm smaller n more tone?

Exercise and Diet before Tummy Tuck

+1

Unfortunately, exercise will not change your skin tone.  It can increase your abdominal wall tone and the strength of your muscles.  During a tummy tuck, the muscles are not repaired but the fascia (the envelope covering the muscles) is.  Exercise will not have an effect on your surgery.  You can workout up until the day of surgery.  Physical fitness may help recovery but you still need a tummy tuck.  If you are on a low calorie diet you may not have adequate protein for would healing required in the post-operative period.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Will working out affect my tummy tuck result?

+1

If your doctor has already recommended a full tummy tuck, I do not think a 10 pound weight loss will substantially change their plan.

You should do surgery at a realistic goal weight that can be maintained longterm.  Hence, you don't want to lose weight, have surgery, then gain it right back.

I always recommend a healthy lifestyle of diet and exercise to help enhance your recovery time.   I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

You can't exercise skin

+1

Thank you for your question. It is always a good idea to lose excess weight before having body contouring surgery. Unfortunately, as your skin does not have muscle in it, you can't exercise your skin and it will not tighten up with working out. Losing weight will actually give you a little more excess skin. It is OK to exercise up until the day before surgery and I find that patients who work out have less pain and an easier recovery.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Working out prior to tummy tuck

+1

It is always a good idea to be healthy and fit prior to any surgery.  If you are fit and medically optimized, you will recover better after surgery better.  You should be at your goal weight prior to your surgery.  I doubt that toning up your muscle and losing 10lbs will change your plastic surgeon's surgical plan.  However, you should see your plastic surgeon again for preop visit once you lose the weight to see whether she/he would recommend mini-TT vs. full TT.  Usually a full-TT is a more powerful procedure that can give you a better contour. Best wishes.

Sugene Kim, MD

Weight before Tummy Tuck?

+1

Based on your  description, I do not think that you have any thing to worry about when it comes to your weight prior to undergoing tummy tuck surgery. In other words, you should be good to go. You do not have to worry about the skin “tightening up”; if anything as patients lose weight there may be additional loose skin present.

Working out until the day of surgery can only be helpful from the physical and stress relief standpoints. Whether you are a good candidate for mini tummy tuck surgery will depend on your physical examination ( as determined by your plastic surgeon).

A few additional words of advice that I give my patients who are about to undergo tummy tucks surgery may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.