I Weigh 140, & am Due to Have Corrective Surgery on my Tummy. Can I Do Situps Until then or Will They Need All the Excess Skin?

+1

I ask my patients to stop abdominal exercising 1 week prior to the operation. Because the exercises can increase blood flow into the muscle and can cause more bleeding during the surgery. There is no relationship between excess skin and muscle thickness. 

Sit ups before tummy tuck

+1

Exercising before a tummy tuck is, in general, a good thing to do.  If you are able to lose excess weight then your surgeon might be able to remove more skin.  Doing sit ups might not significantly change the outcome of your surgery and you will not be able to do this exercise for several weeks after either.

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Sit Ups Prior to Tummy Tuck Will Have No Effect on Excess Skin

+1

I think that you may be under the common misconception that exercise causes skin to contract.  This simply is not the case.  Your skin may contract (if it has sufficient elasticity) after weight loss from exercise but it is not directly caused by the exercise.  A better question is how long you should wait post-op to resume your abdominal exercises.

John Whitt, MD

Exercise and tummy tuck

+1

HI,

Do as many sit-ups as you want or can! The muscle and skin are not related. If you are having a tummy tuck it probably means that you have loose skin, stretch marks or both. No matter how much exercise you do, the skin will not tighten and the stretch marks will not go away (you may get thinner if you loose weight and excess fat). You, however, will be in better shape, which is always a good thing. I always tell my patients to exercise as much as possible prior to surgery so that they are healthy and ready for the recovery.

All my best,

D. Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon