How much do you have to weigh to undergo a tummy tuck? I'm 58 and about 255.

Requirements for a Tummy Tuck

+1

Their are free apps that can calculate your BMI(body mass index). Even without my app, your BMI is in excess of 30. You need to be at 30 or less. BMI indicates whether or not a person is obese. Obesity is associated with increased surgical risks and tummy tucks are definitely an operation where obesity is undeniable for a good outcome.

Ideal weight for a tummy tuck

+1

You will get the best result from abdominal contouring if you are as close to your ideal weight as possible. That being said, you want to have a stable weight and not an unnaturally low weight obtained from a crash diet. That being said, in general, I am comfortable operating on a patient (within reason) who feels that they are at their lowest stable weight irrespective to its correlation with an ideal BMI.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Weight Limit on Tummy Tuck

+1

This is not a heavy topic! Bottom line, if you are in the obese to morbidly obese category of BMI, see a bariatric surgeon first. Yes, you could have a tummy tuck, but with higher health risks and lower rewards in outcome.

Do the right thing for your health first!

Be well and good luck!

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

+1

To do this safely, you would need to get your BMI down below 30 (70 pound loss if you are 5'6" tall. Ideally you would get to 25 for a better result, and more lower risk, which would require 100 pound weight loss.

You may want to consider seeing a bariatric surgeon about weight loss surgery.

How much do you have to weigh to undergo a Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no hard and fast rule about when a Tummy Tuck can and should be done. There're guidelines:

1) We need to know your height relative to your weight

2) Procedure with high BMI should be done in an ambulatory surgery center or a hospital, and overnight stay.

3) In the absence of other medical conditions Tummy Tuck can be a spring board to additional weight loss

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Ideal weight for an abdominoplasty

+1

Ideally you should have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25. A BMI of more than 30 is considered unsafe for elective surgery. It is calculated using height and weight. You will find calculators online that will give you the answer. Your age added to your current weight makes the risk unacceptably high right now.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

How much do you have to weigh to undergo a tummy tuck?

+1

To maximize your chance at a result you will like you need to get your BMI near 25. Your current weight makes your level of risk unacceptable for cosmetic surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1

It is probably better to lose weight until you are at a safer weight to have surgery. If you are 5'8", you should probably lose 50 to 60 lbs.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

How much do you have to weigh to have a tummy tuck

+1

There is no particular weight that you need to be to have a tummy tuck. Rather, you should have a Body Mass Index less than 30. I recommend that you seek out a board certified plastic surgeon so that they may discuss your candidacy for the procedure.

Best of luck to you.

David Cangello, MD