How Much Should I Weigh Before Body Lift?

Highest Weight: 280lbs Current weight: 163lbs Height: 5'6 So, I want to be around 150lbs BEFORE surgery but I honestly feel like I cannot lose much more. At the same time I do not want to pay an extreme amount of money for results that I do not want. Should I wait until I reach my 150lb marker? How much weight/fat could be removed? Realistically, I'd like to be 140lbs (5'6") I believe that is a "healthy" weight. Is this unrealistic? Thank you.

Losing Weight Prior to Body Lifting Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on the weight loss.

I ask patients to be at a stable, long term weight prior to any surgery.  This way you will achieve the best results with surgery.  If you are at 163lbs for a couple of months and cannot lose any more, it may be time to proceed with surgery.  Visit with well experienced, board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your goals and options.

Best Wishes.

How Much Should I Weigh Before Body Lift

+1

We prefer patients to be at a steady weight that is reasonably close to their desired weight.

If you are comfortable at 163, this may be the time. It is highly unlikely that your outcome would be compromised by a 13 pound difference from your goal. I would not say that if you were 40 pounds from your ideal.

This is the time to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation, and to review your goals, the procedures that can be done to get you there. If you surgeon feels that you should lose more weight, you can expect to be told so.

Thanks for the question.  

When to proceed with body lift

+1

You should be at or close to your ideal body weight before proceeding with any plastic surgery procedures.A body lift is also referred to as  circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

When to proceed with body lift

+1

Great job losing the weight. hard work, but well worth the effort. I think that if you stabilize at this present weight, hold it for at least 3 months, then proceed is very reasonable. You will lose some weight at the time of the procedure as well.

Get a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon to give you recommendations and advice on how to proceed and when.

Good luck.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Lose most of the excess weight prior to a lower body lift

+1

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your tremendous accomplishment. As you have already lost the majority of  your excess weight, you may already be a good candidate for a lower body lift. That can only be determined by a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in this surgery. I always feel that it is a good idea to lose as much of the excess weight as possible prior to having body contouring surgery; but those final 10-15 pounds are usually the hardest to get rid of.  The tissue that is removed with a lower body lift is usually mostly skin with some fat and usually does not weight more than 5-7 pounds, however, there are always exceptions.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Weight should be ideal befoe body lift

+1

The weight you reach before contouring or a body lift should be your idea, the weight you will reach and keep. If you have more to go don't sell yourself short. But if the weight is unreasonable or unreachable you will have to adjust. If 140 is realistic then you might have a go for it. It certainly is not unhealthy.

When to consider body contouring after weight loss?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.    As long as your weight loss has stabilized for at least six months and you are not losing any more weight actively, then I think you are OK to proceed with your contouring procedures.   Best of luck!

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS