Incision Popping Open 6 and 8 Weeks Post-op Breast Lift

At 6 weeks and 8 weeks post-op breast lift surgery I have had a one inch section in the vertical incision under my nipple pop open releasing blood and fluid. My doctor seemed unconcerned but didn't give much explanation for this. He said I could resume my exercise routine but I am too nervous it will come open again. Is this a normal occurence and why has it happened twice and do you feel I can resume exercise before it is completely healed?

Breast lift incision popping open postoperatively.

+3

My guess is that you have "spit" some sutures that were holding the deep part of the skin together.  This is a fairly common occurence after this type of surgery.   It is usually a minor set back and once the open areas have healed and the scars have faded, the area usually looks fine.  Healing can take a few weeks so you must be patient!  I have my patients keep an open area like this covered with a little Bacitracin ointment and gauze and change it daily after showering.   Usually most activities are fine unless they stir up bleeding.  Find out what type of sutures you doctor used.  If you have surgery in the future, it may be a good idea for your doctor to choose another type.  Some patients are sensitive to certain suture materials.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Breast lift incision open and draining 5-8 weeks after surgery

+1

Occasionally wounds will open at this time due to resorption of the internal sutures. Only your surgeon will be able to tell if the fluid is coming from the implant (if one was used for the procedure)

Breast lift incision delayed healing

+1

Some patients do get a breakdown of the incision on lifts and reductions.  These will usually heal in secondarily over several weeks with adequate wound care.