6 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck: Still Swollen and Wrinkled

i am 6 weeks out from a modified tt and mr. modified because i kept my bb. i look like i need a tt more than before the surgery and wish i could of got a new bb in order to pull my upper ab skin tighter. i hate the wrinkles in my upper abs. why do you think i look full and should i of had a full tt? before pics are on my other question...computer wouldnt take all of them.

Another example of why mini tummy tucks should be rare

+3

Unfortunately, either your surgeon talked you into a miniTT or you talked him/her into one but either way it was the wrong choice as it almost always is.  Any problems above the belly button with muscle laxity or skin excess will NOT be touched by a mini.  You will now need to go through the full TT which by now you would have recovered from if it had only been done in the first place.

The whole world wants mini's (TT, facelift, breast lift etc) but you can't cheat mother nature and most really need the full version to get the best result, done one time only.  Sorry....

Mini tummy tuck vs. full tummy tuck

+2

You may a candidate to convert your mini tummy tuck to a full tummy tuck, or to remove additional lower abdominal skin and fat and tighten the entire deep layer.

Either would be preferable to a mini tuck.

Mini tucks are very much overmarketed, just as are mini facelifts.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

It is too early to evaluate results of your surgery ( 6 weeks postop).

if you are displeased with the results of surgery at the one-year post mark  it is possible that you would have benefited more from a full tummy tuck procedure.

Generally, the mini tummy talk or  “modified” tummy tuck are operations that  produce  limited results and  are rarely indicated.   These operations may involve shorter incisions but do not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini tummy tuck usually equals a mini result

+1

Although there are patients who are candidates for a mini-tummy tuck, for the most part this operation has limited indications. Mini-tummy tucks really only produce the desired effect on a select group of women who have a small amount of lower abdominal skin laxity and a fairly highly positioned umbilicus. Further, proper candidates must have fairly good abdominal tone pre-operatively since it is very difficult to tighten the entire abdomen with this operation. Unfortunately, most women do not meet these criteria.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

+1

It appears that you had indications for an abdominoplasty and not its "mini" version.

Dr. Aldea's and Dr. Rand's comments are on target.

Stephan Baker, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

I unfortunately agree with the other docs that your PS appears to have chosen your procedure incorrectly. Very few patients acutally need a mini tummy tuck.  Most patients are best served by a full tummy tuck and some liposuction.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+1

I also agree with Drs. Rand & Aldea. Wrong choice in operation for your pre operative issues. Sorry but you need second opinions in person to see if additional surgery can help. From MIAMI 

Consequences of having a MINI-Tummy Tuck when you should have had a FULL Tummy Tuck

+1

To best advise you, I would have to see BOTH your Before as well as your After photos (which you posted). It appears you had the wrong operation.

Unfortunately, we see this all the time. Our patients insist and/or are talked into have MINI operations (Facelifts, Tummy Tuck, Liposuction) BELIEVING their results would match those of the full scale procedures. This rarely happens and the vast majority are disappointed.

In your case, the excess skin above the belly button should have sufficed in leading you and your surgeon to do the full tummy tuck which SHOULD have flattened your tummy, narrowed your waist and given you the figure you deserve.

Sorry.

Peter A Aldea, MD