4 Weeks Since Rhinoplasty. Black Eye Still Not Healed.

4 weeks ago I had an open septorhinoplasty w/ 2 banked rib grafts. As expected, my bruising was severe on both eyes and also on the "laugh line" area of my cheeks. As of today, a 2-inch purple bruise remains under my eye. Is this normal or should I contact my surgeon?

Notes: -I did not take any herbs like Arnica for this surgery -My pain went away on Day 4 -This is my 2nd surgery, 1st was a septoplasty in 2004, no grafts, Arnica before surgery, bruising lasted 10 days

Thanks Docs!

Bruising 4 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Choc,

Contact your surgeon if you are concerned about your persistent bruising.  You may try warm compresses in the area to help dissolve the bruise.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Black and Blue

+2

It sounds like you had extensive surgery for nasal reconstruction.  With more extensive surgery comes more swelling and bruising.  Bruising represents small particles of blood beneath the skin and our body resolves the bruising by sending out certain cells to "clean it up".   It may be that the bruising will take longer to resolve since it there was much more of it this time.  See your surgeon.

Good luck

Dr. ES

Bruising after rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, of course, if you are concerned, let your surgeon know, and perhaps schedule follow up appointment for evaluation.  It is easily possible after four weeks to still have some discoloration, but by six weeks, this generally resolves.   

Web reference: http://www.feelbeautiful.com/rhinoplasty-san-diego/

Black Eye 4 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Although unusual, black eyes 4 weeks after rhinoplasty is possible. In 35 years, I've never seen this persist - be patient. Contact your surgeon whenever you have concerns or questions.